What does it truly mean of 40mA draw

Eric So

Joined Aug 18, 2016
I get 40mA draw is the circuit or whatever it is, is drawing 40mA due to internal resistance and such. But when people say 40mA current draw, does it mean 40mA per second, minute, hour,

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I get 40mA draw is the circuit or whatever it is, is drawing 40mA due to internal resistance and such. But when people say 40mA current draw, does it mean 40mA per second, minute, hour,
Amp is a measure of coulombs (charge) per second. No need for an additional unit of time.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No. Ampere is already charge per second.

The electron is the fundamental unit of charge.
A coulomb is 6.242 × 10^18 electrons.
1 coulomb per second = 6.242 x 10^18 electrons per second = 1A.

While we are here, we might as well bring up "conventional current". It "flows" positive to negative, I just have to warn you that when you deal with other subjects like electrochemistry stuff will seem backwards and they are. Your instrumentation,like a voltmeter will read a positive value when + is connected to + of the meter and - is connected to - of the meter. This is probably all you need to know now.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
While we are here, we might as well bring up "conventional current". It "flows" positive to negative, I just have to warn you that when you deal with other subjects like electrochemistry stuff will seem backwards and they are. Your instrumentation,like a voltmeter will read a positive value when + is connected to + of the meter and - is connected to - of the meter. This is probably all you need to know now.
Way to @KeepItSimpleStupid