What does it mean to measure DAC's INL and DNL at a high frequency

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shantanu, Dec 27, 2008.

1. shantanu

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2008
    Hi All,

I am working on Digital to Analog converter Project , I went through several text but can't convince myself. I want to know what is the meaning of testing a DAC for INL and DNL at high frequencies, not at dc. This is for practical DAC chip.

I can do static testing by applying the inputs one by one and measure the DAC's out put to test INL and DNL but what does it mean when I put continuously changing digital input code at the inputs of a 6bit or 12bit DAC pin and then test for INL and DNL and also how I can do that in practical circuit.

" very steep learning curve ....:("

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  3. shantanu

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2008
    thanks for the reply. I am going through the text.

4. shantanu

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2008
    hi, the link you have posted in the message is not for DAC its for ADC's.

5. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  6. shantanu

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2008
    sorry @ mik3 , I think I should have told your earlier or mentioned it , I want to test the chip in school setting.Only equipments I have in lab is a mixed signal scope, a function generator and bunch of DC power supply. For an ADC or precisely for digital outputs I just have few counters ( TTL chips).

I don't have spectrum analyzer in my lab and have to learn to use one ( which is not a problem), I want to know with stuff mentioned, at my disposal, how can I go ahead and test my DAC chip for INL and DNL.

Any ideas by any users are appreciated.

regards
    S

7. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Some scopes have a built-in spectrum analyzer, check it.