What do you want for Christmas ???

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Drat! Our 2000 Toyota Echo with over 200K miles on it blew the muffler. The XYL wouldn't let me spend any more money on it.
I replaced the muffler with a nice shiny one from the wreckers. Now two weeks later the connector pipe to the muffler falls apart.
So there goes what's left of my Christmas holidays.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Sure. Just straighten the frame, fix the alignment, coat the roof with something, and install a floor shifter out of a junk Aerostar.

Ignore the blinky lights, the 11 MPG, and the muffler noise. (I've been doing that for years.)

If you still need a van, the prices is way down on used Honda Odessey's. It seems the mini van is no longer fashionable with soccer moms and you can get a used one for cheap. The engines and transmissions are strong and run to 200 to 250k miles. The headlights can glaze in Florida weather but new can be found on Amazon for $100 each. 2004 to 2006 seemed to be a good era - now going for 2500 to 4500 from private sellers.

I like mine because it can fold flat in back (remove center row of seats) and it will hold a 4x8' sheet of plywood, a full-sized couch or a two-stage snow-blower if the handlebars is folded down.

An example...
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4808368419.html

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
either a coule of rca 867 tubes with all associated parts for building a nice amp, or enough money to repair all the rust damage on my Alfa.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...Honda Odessey
Hey, that's what I replaced!

The insurance company paid me $11,000 for my 2007 EXL. I used that as a down payment against $40,000 for my new 2015 EXL-RES Odyssey.

BTW, I *love* the Odyssey (and Hondas in general). It drives great, gets good mileage, never breaks down, and is the only car big enough for my dog...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You are a man after my own heart, but I like them a little taller. When I say, "two cheeseburgers" I want to be looking into the clowns face, not his trousers.
if you are comparing to an Aerostar, tts the new Hondas that are short. The 1999 to 2006 style are nice and tall. If not tall enough, the electric seat will raise you about 4 more inches.

If you are comparing to an F150 or dump truck, then the Honda is short.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Granted most people wouldn't know you shouldn't re-string a cheap old acoustic guitar removing the strings all at once. You should take them off in a pattern and replace them one at a time; sort of like tightening lug nuts on a car. It helps provide as nearly a consistent pressure on the neck; not flexing back and forth.
I'm so glad you wrote that before I attempted to replace my guitar strings.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm so glad you wrote that before I attempted to replace my guitar strings.
I take time with it; I have a clip on tuner. If you don't have one; there worth it. I just clip it to the head; and my procedure is to pull off the (1st string, 3rd, 2nd, 5th, 4th, last is 6th.)

As I go along I play the guitar until the string will stay in tune at about 1/4 flat; and holding through to within one or two minutes apart. That way you know the tension will be around the same before removing and replacing another string. At this point I will tighten my Tuner screws to make sure there not loose and allowing the tuners peg to vibrate and throw it out. Before it goes into the case; I tune it one last time.

I typically will play for around a couple hrs or so of and on. They also have good cleaners you can use after playing that will help with longevity of the string; you can apply a coating usually comes in a stick and rub it on before playing. This helps with the dreaded (Screeching) between cord or note shifting.

I hope this makes sense.

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
you can apply a coating usually comes in a stick and rub it on before playing. This helps with the dreaded (Screeching) between cord or note shifting.
You mean I'm not supposed to have finger screeches? :confused: I thought that was part of what proves it's a real person performing. :D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You mean I'm not supposed to have finger screeches? :confused: I thought that was part of what proves it's a real person performing. :D
Don't get me wrong; you are correct.

It's real; nothing wrong with it. Back in the day; folk americana it was all real and natural.

Just pointing out; electrify it and it might be overwhelming.

lol:p

kv

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh. Thanks. I get it. I haven't had that problem with my 'Paul. It plays with such a light touch (compared to the same strings on an acoustic guitar) that I can't remember ever screeching it.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Oh. Thanks. I get it. I haven't had that problem with my 'Paul. It plays with such a light touch (compared to the same strings on an acoustic guitar) that I can't remember ever screeching it.
Now thats just cruel:rolleyes: I can only wish:(

Hope you get a paper cut....lol

kv

Edit: I do have a fender strat with blues pickups and it matches the impedance of a valve amp.

I would rather just put the original pickups back onto it; but they were installed by a company in California. My wife gave it to me for my Birthday 6 years ago.

But, I went to a friends house and he had a little fender amp that was programmable and he could make it sound like a bunch of other guitars and amps. I still have the original pickups but don't want to spend for another amp.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Difficult guitar? There are people that know how to adjust them (and it isn't me). One guy I know does it for $50.
Check locally. Your mileage may vary.

ps, I think I'll take off today. I must have overslept because the usual suspects have answered all the new posts this morning. Nothing left for me to contribute.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Did I mention we went into the music store looking for a keyboard for my son? Ending up getting a used yam with stand and case for a good price.
While always in the store I always yearned to get myself a strat once I learned how to play. Never did learn.:( Then I walked out of the store with a used tele. Love it! That's my early Christmas gift to myself, 4 months early.

No fret screeches!:)

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Did I mention we went into the music store looking for a keyboard for my son? Ending up getting a used yam with stand and case for a good price.
While always in the store I always yearned to get myself a strat once I learned how to play. Never did learn.:( Then I walked out of the store with a used tele. Love it! That's my early Christmas gift to myself, 4 months early.
Congratulations on the Telecaster. Great guitar.
I have been lusting after a new Godin LGX-SA ($2K-ouch) for Christmas but took a flyer and bought a used LGX for $399 sight unseen from Guitar Center on line. It took a few weeks to iron out the electronics and I just got it back from a 100.00 full setup and fret dressing at Murphy's in Irving, TX. Super job and it plays and sounds like a new one. Now if I can find a used Polytone MiniBrute..
Fret screeches will go away with practice and technique.. You can also go flat or half-flat wound strings but they will have a darker sound.
Back to it.. scales and modes today

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Nice :D

There is plenty online; if you want quick easy lessons that help you learn songs while your body and fingers adjust to something new. Best part it's free.

When you get time to practice; I would suggest a minimum of 15 to 30 a day. While sitting or waiting I will think of how when and where to place my fingers. Pretty soon it will be easier than typing.

You can get some practice equipment pretty cheap like pre-amp and headphone set. Pull off one side to listen to the TV with an electric it's almost silent. Just relax against the bed headboard and play. I practice that way; sometimes I'll practice off and on for at least 2 to 3hrs without really thinking about it. Make it a part of every day

I'm waiting for the paint patches in my living room to dry so my wife and I can pick the color. I'm off the rest of the week to re-do the flooring for Christmas and between time I like it that my Guitar is handy to kill some time and practice. To bad I can't do that at work during break.:(

Happy Picking. :)

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Congratulations on the Telecaster. Great guitar.
I have been lusting after a new Godin LGX-SA ($2K-ouch) for Christmas but took a flyer and bought a used LGX for $399 sight unseen from Guitar Center on line. It took a few weeks to iron out the electronics and I just got it back from a 100.00 full setup and fret dressing at Murphy's in Irving, TX. Super job and it plays and sounds like a new one. Now if I can find a used Polytone MiniBrute..
Fret screeches will go away with practice and technique.. You can also go flat or half-flat wound strings but they will have a darker sound.
Back to it.. scales and modes today

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas to you.

I'm not sure how I missed this post; if #12 hadn't said anything it would have gone right by me.

(Thanks #12)

Nice Guitar; I'm glad to see others are getting Music Stuff for Xmas; I don't feel so selfish. :p

I usually get a pair of Button fly 501's and a bag of socks; not this year lol

kv;)