What do you want for Christmas ???

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
What I want for Christmas??? World peace, where no one fights each other just for nothing.

Hmm, what else? Maybe a PhD scholarship? I love me a new cello. And a new piano to play baroques and ragtimes in a cool rainy night.

back to real life, what I'm getting for Christmas is a laser printer - I have two which broke down exactly after the warranty periods. Time to get a different brand! :rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Actually this year I am almost looking forward to christmas being I am taking my gift acquisitions into my own hands and I have a pretty good budget to work with this year too!

#1. 56" 11 drawer tool cabinet.
#2. matching 56" 7 drawer tool chest.
#3. Matching 16" side box.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...-9188.htm?vendorNameDisplay_facet=MasterForce

Budget met and just waiting until days off to go and get it. :cool:

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I wouldn't buy a snap off if it was the last thing on th the market.
For me they rate right up there with Fluke for being grossly over priced junk that thinks its poo doesn't stink because of a reputation they built 30+ years ago. :mad:

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Snap off, that's a good one. I have a couple of Snap On spanner and socket sets, they haven't let me down as of yet though I think I was lured in by their mirror polished finish in the catalogue ;). That's always a good selling point.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Damnit. I never get exactly what I want for christmas. :mad:

Just to prove it I was asked if I would be willing to trade my next four days off for another guys days off at christmas which would then line up with my normal four days off on that shift rotation a week later plus get an extra 2 days additional time off for doing it.

I thought sure no problem! 10+ days off with my wife only being around for 4 - 5 of them and its christmas! :D:cool:

Well I sent my wife a message telling her I wont be home until the December 25 but in return I don't have to go back to work until the 6th of January. She then sends me a message right back saying that her company just did the same for her. :(

*%$#@# A guy just can't win I tell you.. :oops:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I just got me a new car for Christmas...

...but it was only because someone drove into the old one a few weeks ago. Totaled.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I guess I could lower my expectations to receiving a different vehicle. Mine has a bent frame, eats a left front tire every 6 weeks, has only 3 gears left in the transmission, enough blinking error codes on the dashboard to look like it's ready for Christmas, gets 11 miles per gallon, the muffler came loose, and it rains on the inside. I think it's time for a different car. :D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I guess I could lower my expectations to receiving a different vehicle. Mine has a bent frame, eats a left front tire every 6 weeks, has only 3 gears left in the transmission, enough blinking error codes on the dashboard to look like it's ready for Christmas, gets 11 miles per gallon, the muffler came loose, and it rains on the inside. I think it's time for a different car. :D
New old cars; I got a 93 Buick Lesabere; paints peeling a little rust and 125k good tires runs well (Not a Christmas "Present" but almost) Been maintained. $1000. I'm with you on the car running until its far from needing repairs and is a good enough for the junkyard.

When the rubber is grinding into the road; I'm with you. Its time.

Happy Holidays.

kv

Edit: Sold the Buick Century for $400 cash. So, Balance is $600. That motor I will say had some pretty hard driving as well as the rest of the car. But; for the most part the "Century" made it to 200+k.
Edit:Edit: And is still going.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hardly! I got a buddy of mine that would take that and put it at the top of is ready to run daily drivers list and it would likely stay there for at least another 5+ years! :oops:

Yea he's #1 on my list to get one of my good ol cars for a present one of these days just so that he can have a vehicle that will get him the ~300 miles and back to my place. Right now he figures he could make it if he could only split the drive up into 50 - 75 mile breaks between switching out vehicles. :confused:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sure. Just straighten the frame, fix the alignment, coat the roof with something, and install a floor shifter out of a junk Aerostar.

Ignore the blinky lights, the 11 MPG, and the muffler noise. (I've been doing that for years.)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
He wouldn't bother. He'd drive it as is just as long as it starts most of the time when he needs it.

The last main 'daily driver' he had went to the shop one day and when they put it on the four point lift the lift went up about 8 inches but most of the car only went 3 before they stopped trying to go any higher! :oops:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Sure. Just straighten the frame, fix the alignment, coat the roof with something, and install a floor shifter out of a junk Aerostar.

Ignore the blinky lights, the 11 MPG, and the muffler noise. (I've been doing that for years.)
OK OK, we have all had junkers that we have loved. But does it have the one luxury that all junkers absolutly have to have.........Rear window de-frosters............. to keep your hands warm when you are pushing it........

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What? A junker? This has been my service truck for the last ten years!

The best part is that the customers can't see past the nice paint job and realize my other car is the AAA towing service. :p

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Speaking of Christmas gifts and cars, I would like for my 2000 S-10 4wd that I bought new and put 196,000 miles on to be new again. I have looked at replacements, but, in addition to being $high, they don't really suit my taste. Would it be stupid to put a few grand into mine, and try to make it like new? The body is straight and not rusty; it runs and drives well, considering the mileage. Everything works on it, but it needs new carpet, upholstery, headliner, dash top, paint, undercoating, and I would like to have the engine and transmission pulled and rebuilt. Now, that I typed all that, it doesn't seem rational.

Oh well, maybe I'll just keep driving it like it is. :rolleyes: It will probably last longer than me.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Speaking of Christmas gifts and cars, I would like for my 2000 S-10 4wd that I bought new and put 196,000 miles on to be new again. I have looked at replacements, but, in addition to being $high, they don't really suit my taste. Would it be stupid to put a few grand into mine, and try to make it like new? The body is straight and not rusty; it runs and drives well, considering the mileage. Everything works on it, but it needs new carpet, upholstery, headliner, dash top, paint, undercoating, and I would like to have the engine and transmission pulled and rebuilt. Now, that I typed all that, it doesn't seem rational.

Oh well, maybe I'll just keep driving it like it is. :rolleyes: It will probably last longer than me.
You could do the top end and clutch linkage etc or not. If it's Auto then just wait for a problem; then get the molded mats and a dash cover and seat covers. Paint and undercoating is going a bit far. When she hits 400k and it still runs sell it for what you have into the interior lol

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I talked my wife into a "Resonator Guitar Kit" for christmas. Sometime back I purchased play by the campfire type guitar. Price was $80; it's basically something I wasn't to concerned with getting bounced around and in hot and cold environments etc. My Acoustic Electric; Taylor - DreadKnot is not a camp guitar. It rarely see's time out of the case with humidity packets inside.

So, I loan the guitar to my burgeoning nephew and he and his Music Teacher at school decided they want to re-string the guitar. No, problem right; so the "Teacher" removes all the strings (Bad idea) and begins to add them one by one until breaking the bridge away from the guitar.

Granted most people wouldn't know you shouldn't re-string a cheap old acoustic guitar removing the strings all at once. You should take them off in a pattern and replace them one at a time; sort of like tightening lug nuts on a car. It helps provide as nearly a consistent pressure on the neck; not flexing back and forth.

The Installation:

First, cut away the old bridge area taking particular measurements for that guitar and install the parts and suddenly you have a "Blues Resonator Guitar" Total cost will be $145. Plus; I'm saving my original investment and gaining a fun project to boot. ;)

Merry Christmas.

kv

Edit: Now I just need "Nephew" to bring back the guitar:(

The Resonator Kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-RESONA...990?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d4ca8dabe