What do you think?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like members opinion on this.

U have seen the components that are used in the motherboards, right?

Do you think the SMD resistors and caps are of 1% tolerance types.

Strict tolerance is essential for proper operation, am I right here?

or they are just normal 5% types?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On a motherboard I don't think the majority need to be 1% types since they are not used in analog circuits. Manufacturing techniques make it possible to achieve better and more consistent results. The conventional wisdom when when SMT components became prevalent in the mid 90s was that the cost of 1% components was the same as 5% components. From an inventory management perspective there was no reason not to use all 1% components.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think so the 1% types are the most prevalent in the marketplace. I think you have to try really hard to find 5% SMT resistors

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Here's a big one Loosewire - the small ones are a quarter of this size. The number is the value - in this case 510K (51 x 10^4).

I'm not sure what the tolerances on the caps are, I think 1% is unlikely, most smt caps are 10% or 20%.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
SMT(Surface Mount Technology) and SMD(Surface Mount Device) refer to the same kind of component.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

Most resistors are 1%

Caps traditionally came in Z5U, X7R, NPO/COG with increasingly tighter tolerance mostly as a function of temperature. I know there are other combinations of size an tolerance but I believe these are the most common for R's 'n C's

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009