What do you think of this oscilloscope?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dmc0162, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dmc0162

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 13, 2007

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's half the scope I bought for my first scope and the one I bought wasn't quite enough...and I mostly play around with analog and audio!

So...no. Not good enough. Double the frequency, double the inputs, add a delayed sweep, and you're just about good enough for hobby work.

3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. TheLaw

Sep 2, 2010
    A good scope, or atleast most normal scopes, have a minimum of 2 channels. Why? Well, if you want to compare two points in a circuit, it's very hard to make an accurate comparison with only one channel. 10MHz is pretty low for a scope. You may find yourself wanting more in the future. 50Mhz is pretty much minimum for me.

I bought a used Tektronix scope off eBay. I have a Tektronix 465M which is the 'military' version of the 455. The best part? I got it for $90 shipped! And in very good condition. I think Tek scopes are probably the best made in regards to buying old scopes, but companies like HP and Phillips did make some good scopes also. Tek CRTs are usually regarded as the best quality, and that's the one thing in a scope that's usually hard to source and repair.