What do you perfer with a bread board

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, May 6, 2013.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Yesterday I picked up a Jameco double side breadboard and I also bought a huge set of Solderless Breadboard Jumper Wires Cables . But what do you guys prefer to use [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is what I picked

My plans was to keep the large kit all the way to the right of the pic and sell the rest of the kits ... I was planing on buying a bunch of permanent markers and color coding the wire each wire differently ..

I am not if it's political correct but here is what I am talking about.

Single side

Double side (This is what I picked up for the same price as a single side)
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm cheap and don't like to pay for anything if I can help it. I get scrap telephone cable that is being thrown away at construction sites and take the wires out of the cable. I get six different colors per cable.
    ErnieM likes this.
  3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Man, that's ALOT of jumpers. I like to use solderless breadboards, but I usually just get wire in small rolls and cut and strip them to length.
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    When i started out, i stripped telephone wire too.

more recently I buy junk at estate sales and watch craigslist for people "getting out of electronics hobby". I have worked my shop up over time, upgrading as the opportunity presents itself. I now have two 1970s era HP power supplies that I paid a total of $50. Both are rock solid and work perfectly hp6228. Other toys that all work perfectly. eBay gets the rejects and schools or acquentances get the stuff that is too nice to ship to a stranger on eBay.

As i buy grab-bags and boxes at estate sales and yard sales, I have acquired more jumpers for breadboards, breadboards, and trainer breadboards (include signal generator, logic switches and power supply) than I will ever need. Value too low to pack and sell so, again, schools or friends get that stuff, I just can't stop buying it - I am addicted to spending $5 just to see what might be in a box of parts.

It is amazing how much stuff people think they need when starting electronics as a hobby and buy it all before they ever make one LED flash with a 555 timer. Then they realize how difficult designing or simply building something can be so they quit. Eventually it all ends up in a big box at a yard sale for $5 or $10. I bought two scopes and two heathkit signal generators last weekend because the guy was just pushing them on me once I mentioned any knowledge of what they are used for. He threw in a box of components that I was really interested in. What a fun day rummaging through that mess, Brand new Simpson and GE panel meters, all kinds of logic, some cool voice stuff in Radio Shack packaging from General Instruments (now microchip).

some of the people I buy electronics from are selling their dad's or grandfathers stuff because I now have a collection of vintage transistors from the late 50s, 60s and 70s. Who has seen a GE "black hat" germanium transistor? Or a Motorola transistor PNP power germanium transistor used in the first Automotive transistor radios (class A sesign).

Anyhow, there is lots of stuff available on the secondary market and swap meets and garage sales and estate sales may not even advertise electronics. Just an interesting way to spend a Saturday morning talking to people about the old-school way of doing things.
  5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes telephone cable is the easiest to get (at least to me) but not the best for soldering, I found out.

I also prefer smaller pictures !!!
  6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm using some kind of cable, there are over twenty wires inside the cable, they also have many different colors, it's more easily to identify the function of the wires.
  7. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    I prefer the pin type flexible jumpers that come in a bundle. They have a male pin and a collar on each end that make prototyping much easier and more secure. You can get them on EBay for like 4 bucks. I have several bundles of varying lengths and colors. Take a look, they are much better than bent solid wires. Ribbon cable and IDC connectors are also very nice for interconnecting boards and circuits too.

Wheelchair Bob
    Metalmann likes this.
  8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    My first breadboard was a single-side 840-point one from RadioShack. I got one wire kit like the ones on the left of your picture. I think I've only ever had two or three wire kits in the many years I've head the breadboard though. I usually get my own wire from old appliances, telephone cables, etc. All my components come from old circuit boards--a desoldering iron does wonders ;)

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    When I started out I too used old telco wire. My dad had several boxes of it, a few thousand feet someone gave him. 4 conductors inside of #22 copper. Red, black, yellow and green.

Used it all over the place till it was gone. Great for solderless, horrible to solder as the insulation would melt and pull back.

I've got no real use for solderless now a days: if I build something I want to keep it, or I just build it on a cheap throwaway board. These cheapie boards I get from Radio Shack and they have the same pattern as the solderless boards, so some part of the concept lives on.

Doctor: Don't get paralysis by analysis. Just build something!
  10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  11. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    " I am addicted to spending $5 just to see what might be in a box of parts."

I have that same disease.;)
  12. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I hear you on that....
    But I thought you guys might like this and this is not me
    Metalmann, BershaM, absf and 2 others like this.
  13. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    Hey that's a nifty idea, I'll have to try it !!!!
  14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    But what if your wire isn't straight?

To answer my own question... I strip/bend/solder one end and lay the wire out, bending as needed (I like right angles) till A gets to B. Then I kink where it should be stripped... strip it and put it back. Most times the pre bends are gone so I just make it straight and bend it back.

Note I work in 30AWG wire, like they used for wire wrap back in the day.I still have a collection of wire wrap tools so stripping is quick.