What do you need to live forever

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I watched 4 minutes and 12 seconds of the second video before I concluded that I had no idea what it was. I was tempted to watch the rest in the hope that it would start to make sense, but I resisted. Then I watched 22 seconds of the first video before I stopped it, so apparently I did learn something from the second video, i.e., don't waste my life watching videos that mean nothing to me. Did they really mean anything to you?

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Have you ever seen the live brain activity scans? You know, the ones that show all the moving colors?

Well, they don't see that in everybody.

Some people only show a very small area located asymmetrically on one side........................and are normal human beings.

How much brain do you need? Or use? Are they really dead?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Have you ever seen the live brain activity scans? You know, the ones that show all the moving colors?

Well, they don't see that in everybody.

Some people only show a very small area located asymmetrically on one side........................and are normal human beings.

How much brain do you need? Or use? Are they really dead?
I'll be a while before I trust live brain activity scans for anything close to reading actual human brain function.
https://www.braindecoder.com/post/b...cans-are-not-always-what-they-seem-1069949099

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've stayed out of this for a long time because I don't want to live forever. If I did, I would have to be about 29 years old...forever. That would put me at the peak of my physical development, or, as I say it, my muscles were still getting better until I was almost 30. The next problem is: Injuries accumulate. If you're going to live forever you need to be able to regenerate everything from internal organs to growing a new finger. In my case, a new left foot. This hobbling around crap has to stop someday. If I get recycled, at least I'll have a new body. If I lived forever, I'd be distorted and impaired for all eternity. That's not my idea of something to hope for.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't want to live forever either... but an indefinite lifetime would be kind cool... right now our biological limits are pretty much set and clear

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have read some good sci fi where people could be moved into robotic bodies (androids actually). Mentally you are completely there. The process does not allow mental tweaks. The early versions were not perfect, but they keep getting better to the point they are indistinguishable from the inside and outside. Actually from the inside they are much better, perfect eyesight, hearing, and the rest. About the only thing you give up is the ability to have children. According to the story sleep was optional, but recommended for mental health.

Would you go for it?

An indefinite lifetime is pretty much guaranteed, since accidents will be with us always. Something will eventually catch up with us.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I've often wondered if a baby thinks it's dying during birth? Have you ever noticed how weak, a fresh newborn is? That's because he has spent everything he's got in the last couple of hours trying to stay where he was.

They don't want to go anywhere.

Maybe the next transition is the same.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I've often wondered if a baby thinks it's dying during birth? Have you ever noticed how weak, a fresh newborn is? That's because he has spent everything he's got in the last couple of hours trying to stay where he was.
And, later, spends the rest of his life trying to get back in...

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
I wouldn't want to live forever because eventually the Sun will run out of hydrogen and start running on helium.

Then it will become a red giant and consume the Earth.

So, unless you've got a way to survive 1800 degree heat for several million years, you wouldn't want to be alive after the next 4 billion years.
I'd hop in my trusty 4,000,000,002 Chevrolet Saturn Seven Space Pickup (LS) and get the heck outta dodge ;)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
At the end of the journey you could realize that at a certain moment, you started to spend the rest of your life to live forever... What a waste!