What do you DIY?

#12 that is an astonishing list of skills, assuming it is not embellished.

Other than being able to trap my own food with materials sourced from the forest, should the need arise, I have zero DIY skills worth mentioning, so your list is downright humiliating to read, I must say.

In your shoes, I would weave all that technical aptitude into the narrative of a semi-fictional novel, since all the research is already done, and the ring of authenticity would be very convincing indeed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
True. I gave up sex about 15 years ago. It required too much of my time and energy.:D

Here is a picture of me and the 1946 Harley I rebuilt, a bad day after I met a drunk driver, and how I looked in 1989.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I thought I already posted this response, but it seems to be missing. Maybe I didn't click on, "Post Quick reply"? Anyway, it went like this:

One woman said of me, "The busiest unemployed man I've ever known".

But, guys, this is just a long list of handyman chores and a couple of special interests. I'm sure many of you could make a list like this if you counted back on your whole life.

So, when the sewer pipe collapses, you have to install a new one, even if you have to dig up the garden to do it. But I did manage to save most of the crop.

Attachments

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
#12, you have fulfilled your place as one of the top 3 who I thought would dominate this thread. You, Daryl, and Roman. That's not to take away from anyone who posted or will post, just my perception of the the top 3 "hardcore DIY types" on the forum.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I thought I already posted this response, but it seems to be missing. Maybe I didn't click on, "Post Quick reply"? Anyway, it went like this:

One woman said of me, "The busiest unemployed man I've ever known".

But, guys, this is just a long list of handyman chores and a couple of special interests. I'm sure many of you could make a list like this if you counted back on your whole life.

So, when the sewer pipe collapses, you have to install a new one, even if you have to dig up the garden to do it. But I did manage to save most of the crop.
Always blows my mind the amount of sand were based on. Most people I know with nice gardens in the city dig up and dump the sand and fill it with good dirt. Not sure if you can still do that though. Nice pics though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Florida is just a big sand bar.
Gardening here is almost hydroponic.
No matter what you put in, it will be gone in a year, rinses right through into the ground water.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What you will notice here is that most of the responders are ol' timers who have at least 40 years of lifetime experiences and DIY tasks under their belts.

Whether it is electrical, electronics, automechanics, home appliances, woodworking, plumbing, gardening, no task is a barrier.

Take notice young fellas.

What these guys have is a can do attitude and always willing to learn a new skill and tackle something different. These guys are resilient and will manage in any situation. Age is no barrier.

So what's holding you back?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Holding me back? Well, if anything, time. But I don't put much weight on that crutch. I DIY before I buy, every time its feasible (cost to buy vs cost to make vs time to make). I've been in the spirit of making and fixing things since before I could talk. I'm gathering the supplies now to build a sandblasting cabinet which will come in handy for my power hacksaw and lathe restoration. The power hacksaw and lathe will come in handy for fabricating parts for the electric car conversion that I've always dreamed of doing. I DIY a lot of stuff. More than the average Joe. I can't touch #12's list, but by the time I'm his age, I bet I will.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Does DIY nixie clock, rather than kit count?

other than that
built a center console for my car from fiberglass
replaced the stock alternator in my car with a newer one, modified wiring harnesses and mounting accordingly
re-charged the AC
did a brake job once (technically just helped)

installed and re-wired my car stereo & amp
built a sub box and installed it
various replacements of parts in the car, including fan, actuators, window motors, etcetera
the only thing i've paid someone to do to my car is install a new convertible top, cuz ain't nobody got time for that

painted my wrap around porch (took for freakin ever)

fixed lawnmowers more times than i can count

I've done minor roofing
drywall
general construction
built plenty of chicken coops and other wooden structures

fixed a couple broken power supplies i "acquired" from the school... noone noticed, they were broken
re-capped at least 3 old tube radios

I fix all my computers (and those of my family, even the laptops)
(I can disassemble and reassemble most any laptop in under 10 min, they're all pretty much the same)

repaired a dishwasher once

laid both tile and wood floors (not by myself, fortunately, but i could)
doors and locks are easy, thye're all pretty much standard

cabinets and shelves are easy if you can take the time to keep things square

done some minor plumbing work

designed and built a bridge once, had to pour the concrete for the posts and square them, holds tractors daily, been there for 3 years

on the list of things i've built-
nixie clock, both pcb and point to point
plasma speaker
tesla coil
LC meter
more robots than i can count
I built a solar panel, rather than buying one (then used it to power an entire presentation on solar energy)

i don't, however, cut my own hair :p

also, @mrChips, I'm all of a month over 19 ;)

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
What you will notice here is that most of the responders are ol' timers who have at least 40 years of lifetime experiences and DIY tasks under their belts.

Whether it is electrical, electronics, automechanics, home appliances, woodworking, plumbing, gardening, no task is a barrier.

Take notice young fellas.

What these guys have is a can do attitude and always willing to learn a new skill and tackle something different. These guys are resilient and will manage in any situation. Age is no barrier.

So what's holding you back?
I gotta disagree. Those were different times when stuff was manufactured to be repaired now things are manufactured to just be replaced. So the DIY stuff has suffered a lot in that aspect, that and many times a part for what you fixing is almost as much as buying a new one.

Also schools now don't put too much attention to shop classes, ag, etc... Also when you've grown up with things that were simple and became a lil more complex each year its easier to work on since you've been doing it 40 years. For new guys to look at a technology thats been evolving for 50 years is a lil intimidating. Do I spend 5 years catching up on my mechanics skills so i'm up to par to do an engine swap? Or do I learn new technologies of my era?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I gotta disagree. Those were different times when stuff was manufactured to be repaired now things are manufactured to just be replaced. So the DIY stuff has suffered a lot in that aspect, that and many times a part for what you fixing is almost as much as buying a new one.
That's why we manufacture our own stuff now.

Also schools now don't put too much attention to shop classes, ag, etc...
We use the internet and topical forums as the shop class of our time

Also when you've grown up with things that were simple and became a lil more complex each year its easier to work on since you've been doing it 40 years. For new guys to look at a technology thats been evolving for 50 years is a lil intimidating. Do I spend 5 years catching up on my mechanics skills so i'm up to par to do an engine swap? Or do I learn new technologies of my era?
Excellent point. But some things got easier. For example, we can make very sophisticated systems with a myriad of programmable devices which greatly simplifies the process, and that our fathers didn't have.