What determines where you take a seat?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amilton542, Feb 12, 2013.

1. amilton542

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I've noticed we have a tendency to choose the same seat and generally, if faced with the same conditions, we shall pick that same spot over and over.

For example, if I ever need to catch a bus in to town, I'll pick a seat three-quarters of the way up, right-hand side, window-view; immaterial what bus and what journey. Hmmm, why do I choose this seat? I concluded, maybe it could be because I can see close to 80% of my surroundings, I can engage and reserve myself when need be and I'm in direct vicinity of the STOP button with minimal movement.

All the people on my local bus sit in exactly the same seat. Some of these folk have been catching this bus for years and do still sit in exactly the same spot. I would imagine this is the same for the trains, too.

Same goes for the classroom. It's near enough the same deciding-factor orientation for the groups but in a different room.

What makes you decide where you sit?

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Where I'm least disturbed by other passengers, where it is easiest to get off the bus when it's full and where I have most space. And preferably where I can see where the bus is going so I know in advance when to get out.

Anyway, if you don't have a car where I live you are pretty much , aehm.... I mean, you have a problem.:D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Been a long time, but...
    When I was on an airplane, I sat just behind the wing at a window seat. The strongest part of the plane is just in front of my feet and I get to watch the gizmos in the wings.

On a bus, if I am unfamiliar, just behind the driver because he can help me. If familiar, just opposite the middle door exit. Fewer people breath on me as they go by and the exit is just a giant step away.

In a classroom...depends on the class. Required crap like some of the electives...mostly rearward on the left. "God, I love this", right in the teacher's face.

In a Theater, left edge of the center group, 1/3 of the way from the front. Far enough to see the whole screen and easy exit to the left.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm the same, I love watching the wing working and seeing all the cool stuff underneath.

Last year when I was flying to Belfast, I was putting my hand luggage in the locker above, when some women pushed me aside to get the window seat.

Ah well, I thought, can't always get the good seat.

Then she takes out her music player, plugs herself in and starts reading a book! Didn't even look out of the window once! What a waste.:mad:

:rolleyes:

And yes, I did get over it.

Eventually. :D

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I've wondered the same thing. Regardless why you initially pick a seat, why do you continue to return to that exact seat?

I prefer to sit in the front of the class, but not directly in center. When I go to a class the first time I pick one out of maybe 8 desks in the front row. Then each day I go back to the same seat? Why not one of the other seats?

It seems everybody is wired this way, as after the first day, especially well into the semester, if you just change your mind and sit somewhere else, people are put off. They act like you "stole" THEIR seat from them. Why?

I usually have at least some hint of a logical motivation to select a seat initially, but after that, the unknown (to me) psychological drive to return to it is much stronger than the initial logic.

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I tend to pick seats toward the back, along the sides.

I supposes it is because I always wonder what the best scenario in the case of a zombie attack, or maybe I just like knowing where people are, keeping them visible at all times... I pick the seats that most people wouldn't want.

I don't like sitting in the front of a classroom because I have to turn my head too much when the problem spans multiple boards. I like to glance up, take it all in, and, if I understand everything up until that point, I continue doodling:p...

I can't remember the last time I was on a bus, and plane seats are reserved here. Is that not the case elsewhere? You just take whatever seat you want?

Is there a psychologist forum that we could link to?:)

7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Depends on venue. If its something I want like a good concert, jumping the floor, and getting about row 3-5 center is where I go. If its somewhere like a school or class I look for the nearest seat, then take into account if it can structurally hold my body, if so I sit down.

8. amilton542

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 13, 2010
    These are the points I'm trying to get at. We all seem to be influenced somehow.

9. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    On the bus, I always like to take the seat just behind the plastic panel behind the rear door. That way I don't need to be staring into the back of someone's head the whole way home.

I also like the inside seat because I can't stand it when someone on the inside stands up and stares at you. Many times I refuse to move till they say something. What is so hard about saying excuse me or pardon me. Or "hey get your fat butt out of that seat" would even be preferable over the cold stare.

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    A safety class would tell you the best seat depending on where you are going and

why you are going. Where the knock out windows are,know all that door and window

stuff. You could help your self or some one else. I have watched the handy films.

11. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    In public transportation I often choose the first place that's available. However, if there is someone who looks sketchy or has poor hygiene then I'll usually just keep going.

Otherwise, I've always been a left-side person. On buses or planes I'd always prefer to be on the left side next to a window. Half to three quarters of the way back. But again, that depended on if the seats were open or not, and who was near them.

The thing that determines where you sit must be the way your brain analyzes what the eyes see. If you see something displeasing, your subconscious will tell you to avoid it. Your predisposition to sit in a particular spot is caused by a combination of many factors that are unique to you.

12. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Smokers! Yuck! There have been people that have sat next to me that smelled like they bathed in smoke. Once I actually had to get up, the guy stunk so bad from smoke he almost made me vomit.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  13. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I look for attractive women and ask if they don't mind me sitting beside them. I bit awkard when the bus is near empty, so it's usually close enough to at least say hi.

14. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    They don't let you sit on their lap? Have you asked yet?

15. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    not my kind of gal.