What degree of care must go into a design to keep idiots (or drunks) safe?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
She connected it to the neutral pin so he was pretty safe. Did she know it was neutral or was he just lucky? Anyway, it makes for a strong statement. Sort of like when you come home and find your clothes spread over the front lawn.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It has been said that you can design things to be fool-proof...... but not b*****-fool-proof.

She connected it to the neutral pin so he was pretty safe.
I thought it was he who connected it?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Sorry for the confusion but the boyfriend supposedly connected his own phone that way while drunk. The girlfiriend took the photo the next morning.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
She connected it to the neutral pin so he was pretty safe. Did she know it was neutral or was he just lucky? Anyway, it makes for a strong statement. Sort of like when you come home and find your clothes spread over the front lawn.
would have been live here (our neutral on RHS)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You should convert to UK sockets, live and neutral have shutters over them which get pushed out of the way when the (longer) earth pin is inserted.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Today I saw a story in which a young girl's father gave her a Python. Mom didn't like the snake so it was given to the boy next door. The boy's father was transporting the boy and the snake to the pet store- to get a cage- when the snake bit the boy. The snake was a Water Moccasin.

Yep. At least we can always count on stupidity to remain constant in a changing world.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
........Yep. At least we can always count on stupidity to remain constant in a changing world.........
This is a very wise statement. Stupid defines the far left side of the the intelligence spectrum. Unfortunately, the right side of the spectrum is not that far to the right.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I don't think 'stupid' is a constant in this world. I think it is constantly expanding. The movie "Idiocracy" seems to be morphing from a sci-fi comedy to a very plausible prediction of our future.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The way I say it is, "This world is not in danger of being overrun with geniuses".
I have an imaginary sign next to my front door. I read it whenever I go out of my house. It says, "Remember, 99% of the people you meet today will not have an IQ in the top 1% of the population". Then I come here and find a dozen or more people that humble me regularly.
This is a really great website!

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
The way I say it is, "This world is not in danger of being overrun with geniuses".
I have an imaginary sign next to my front door. I read it whenever I go out of my house. It says, "Remember, 99% of the people you meet today will not have an IQ in the top 1% of the population". Then I come here and find a dozen or more people that humble me regularly.
This is a really great website!
Me too.