What connector for this LCD panel?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would like to build a breakout board for LCD panels.

One if the ones I have been buying look like the attached.

Basically it is a 16 pin, what sort of looks like an edge connector but nit exactly.

What I am doing currently is to solder a SIP into the connector and then connect make my various connections to that.

I suppose I could use a header and a SIP. Soldering one to the breakout board and the other to the LCD panel.

But I really want to avoid soldering on the LCD panel. I just want to be able to plug it in.

Do these edge type connectors exist? If so what would I look for? (I will be ordering from mouser).

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I soldered mine.

I suppose you could use a PCI card connecter. As long as the spacing was right...

Then you could wire out to a header for prototyping.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I soldered mine.

I suppose you could use a PCI card connecter. As long as the spacing was right...

Then you could wire out to a header for prototyping.

I wonder if you could even get a 16pin version.

And if you look at the connector a regular edge connector would not work unless maybe I modified it. You would need to knock out the two ends of the connector.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just use a single header row of pins, and solder it to the LCD panel connector.

Otherwise, if you try to fool around with a card edge connector, and there is no means to accurately align it, you stand a very good chance of burning up either the LCD display or whatever you're using to drive it with.

You can use a ribbon cable with those snap-on connectors to drive the thing with. An old floppy disk drive cable might work OK for that - use a dual row header on your breakout panel, and ground all the pins in one of the rows. That will provide alternating signal/ground/signal in the cable to the LCD. Just make certain you align the LCD headers correctly when you plug it in.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just use a single header row of pins, and solder it to the LCD panel connector.

Otherwise, if you try to fool around with a card edge connector, and there is no means to accurately align it, you stand a very good chance of burning up either the LCD display or whatever you're using to drive it with.

You can use a ribbon cable with those snap-on connectors to drive the thing with. An old floppy disk drive cable might work OK for that - use a dual row header on your breakout panel, and ground all the pins in one of the rows. That will provide alternating signal/ground/signal in the cable to the LCD. Just make certain you align the LCD headers correctly when you plug it in.
Yeah looks like this is going to be what I will have to do. I was hoping there was a connector out there so I could plug in the LCD then easily move it on to my project.

I'm think I'll set up my "breakout" board to mimic the type of connector I am using in my projects. That way I only solder up the LCD once.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yeah. Thats how they all end up. After the hours of figuring what to do, you could have soldered the header on and been building.

It really is a very good way to go.