What Comes After SPICE 2G6

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by garry ehrlich, Apr 15, 2015.

1. garry ehrlich

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2015
    HI- New member here. I'm an old guy trying to keep mind alive by working my way through Lessons............
    Just after Ohms Law comes aforementioned Program. It seems to me that 2G6 might be a little obsolete.
    A little web searching revealed a lot of updated versions. Which one of these might be appropriate for
    simply redoing Mr. Kuphaldts' examples i.e. simple stuff. Remember, I'm a rank amateur at this point!

Garry

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    What "Lessons"?

Where?

You need to throw us a bone and provide more information about what you are talking about.

3. garry ehrlich

Apr 15, 2015
    I build architectural models for pay. I want to write programs to remotely control various functions such as lights, door and window opening, etc. (miniature house automation). Toying around with an Arduino Uno but would like to get a little broader scope.

Garry

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    That's not the more information we need. You talk about the "Lessons". What "Lessons" are you talking about? You talk about this program coming just after Ohm's Law. WHERE does it come just after Ohm's Law?

We are NOT mind readers. We have little idea what the context within which you are talking about these things.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    LTSpice. Free download at Linear.com. I will be happy to provide examples.

Typical example: see post #7 here.

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I agree with WBahn. Your question or intent is not clear. And then you mention "broader scope". What scope? Broader than what?

The Uno can control up to 14 things, out of the box. There is also the Mega, which can control more, out of the box. With the right sketch (program), that is.

Of course, I am just guessing as to your intent...

7. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    What does this have to do with SPICE????? SPICE is an analog circuit simulator and analysis tool, not a programming system for Arduinos.

Pardon my bogglement, please, but you're really NOT being very clear.

8. garry ehrlich

Apr 15, 2015
    With due respect to all, if you click on "Textbooks" in the header to this forum and click a couple of times, the meaning of " lessons" should become clear. However, this is irrelevant, as is the fact that I am playing with an Arduino Uno. Thanks to OBW0549 for giving me my question:Can anyone suggest an analog circuit simulator and analysis tool that is more current than SPICE 2G6? This is needed for circuits with only a few nodes and simple components used by someone with little experience hoping to become more proficient in the art of circuit design as they proceed.

9. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Are you blowing off my post #5, above???

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    If it's irrelevant, then why mention it in the first place?

With all due respect, as you say, there are thousands of texts, online or otherwise, and lots of lessons out there. Why is it reasonable for you to assume that everyone that reads your post is going to know WHICH lessons you are talking about? Even knowing that you are talking about the E-book on this site, I still have no idea where it is that this program is being talked about "just after Ohm's Law". Is it that hard to include a link to the page you are taking about? Without that, it is hard to know what features the simulator you want to use needs to have, if the intent is to use it in conjunction with those lessons (which is implied by the fact that you mentioned those lessons at all).

Having now stated that it is needed for only a few nodes with simple components, then there are lots of simulators, free or low cost, that you can consider. Each with its pros and cons. A very common one that many people use (as pointed out by someone else previously) is LTspice from Linear Technologies. It's free and fairly capable.

11. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    If that's all you're going to be doing (rather than cutting-edge design of analog integrated circuits), then your concerns about SPICE 2G6 not being "current" are misplaced.

Download and install LTSpice IV from www.linear.com and learn to use it. And then, if you ever reach a point where it is inadequate for your needs-- and ONLY then-- go looking for something more "current."

12. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The other thing is that the original version numbers associated with the SPICE program are probably now defunct, and have been for several years. Some people have taken the basic SPICE program and put very nice wrappers around it. If you are interested, I'm sure the guys who maintain LTSpice will be glad to tell you what version of the SPICE engine they use as well as the improvements they've made.

13. garry ehrlich

Apr 15, 2015
    Thanks to all for your help. Case closed.

Garry

14. garry ehrlich

Apr 15, 2015
    Sorry Mike, in a fit of total confusion on my part I simply missed it. Will check out LTSpice immediately.

Garry

15. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    As with most things, there is a bit of learning curve. There are some good on-line tutorials. I will be happy to help you get started. Best if you post your questions on the "Resources" or "Chat" forums.