What colour

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It's gonna depend on how you define light and color. Many other life forms can see and sense many more red colors and many more violet colors than we can.

And many objects can reflect or emit colors that can't be seen. So it looks black to us.

The tree falling always makes a sound.

And I believe I heard where they found that mice can smell oxygen.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Depends upon you definition of color I suppose.
I would say that an object has an intrinsic color (the wavelength, or group of wavelengths, of light it reflects) regardless of whether it's illuminated or not.
It doesn't lose that just because it's in the dark.
But to determine that color you need to illuminate it with white light.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
It's like, Is "color" spelt wrong if there is nobody around to read the word? These are all illogical questions because the meaning is based on someone being there experiencing them.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
No, it still exists but nobody is looking at it. Simple as that. To go deeper into it I suppose you have to think about defining the word "exists"

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Things don't have color. They reflect or emit color. Reflected color is color the thing doesn't want.

A red thing takes all the colors except red.....it throws red away.......that's why you can see red. It keeps the other colors. You can't see the colors a thing keeps.....only what it throws away.

Emitted color will depend on the thing......and the temperature.