What can I do with old CDROM (/w) drives??

foundit

Joined Mar 9, 2008
Hi every body,

after 6 years i replaced my old cd-rom drives (some are writer) with
the new DVD read/write drives.

i think i can use the old drives outside (stand alone) the pc as cd
player if i connect them to a power and some other
adapters?:confused:

any suggestion please ....?;)

thankx

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If your CD rom as a 'play' button then you can use it as an external cd player but the only things you can do with it is to change tracks one by one. You can hear the audio from the headphone plug in front of it. The only thing you have to do is to supply it with 12 and 5 volts DC.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I usually take old parts and make old computers, Win98se is pretty easy to use. Then I look around for folks that could use one, you'd be suprised. Even old folks homes can usually use them. Computers, even old ones, are great time wasters and tools.

hydra504

Joined Oct 18, 2007
Use them as paper holders! :)

NAw just kidding. maybe you can use the DVD-roms to maybe use as a dvd player for your car. With some thinking and extra parts laying around you can build a ghetto-dvd player.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I knew a company that rigged a CDROM drive into a computer to do fatigue testing on connectors, etc. This is because the CDROM drive gave a repeatable linear motion and the interface was really simple..

Steve

Soupling

Joined Sep 19, 2008
foundit said:
Hi every body,

after 6 years i replaced my old cd-rom drives (some are writer) with
the new DVD read/write drives.

i think i can use the old drives outside (stand alone) the pc as cd
player if i connect them to a power and some other
adapters?:confused:

any suggestion please ....?;)

thankx
If your CD rom as a 'play' button then you can use it as an external cd player but the only things you can do with it is to change tracks one by one. You can hear the audio from the headphone plug in front of it. The only thing you have to do is to supply it with 12 and 5 volts DC.
Was just flicking through the Jay car catalog and found this;

"Don't throw away those old CD-ROM drives just because you've upgraded the drive in your PC. Put it to good use as a CD player using this nifty adaptor kit. The adaptor accepts signals from common TV remote controls to operate the audio functions of the drive as easily as you would control a normal CD player" - Follow the link for more information

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Was just flicking through the Jay car catalog and found this;

"Don't throw away those old CD-ROM drives just because you've upgraded the drive in your PC. Put it to good use as a CD player using this nifty adaptor kit. The adaptor accepts signals from common TV remote controls to operate the audio functions of the drive as easily as you would control a normal CD player" - Follow the link for more information

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
I just mentioned the easiest way to make a cd player. I know you can use a uC to make it better.

Soupling

Joined Sep 19, 2008
I just mentioned the easiest way to make a cd player. I know you can use a uC to make it better.
Nice. I wasn't trying to educate you, I was trying to show an alternative. Your post was used as a quote as you brought up the idea of using it to play music.

foundit

Joined Mar 9, 2008
Hi again

I thank everyone answered to this question,:)
I choose Beenthere answer as a solution because it is the most
practical and logic (no more cost, no more screwing...!!:eek:)

Thank you Soupling for the link, it seems good, BUT it will cost
more than the cd rom drive it self!;)

Well, I still waiting 4 a logic nice 'pas cher' solution

kind regards