what can be used if cant use resettabble polyswitch fuse

Dimpi

Joined Sep 6, 2013
helo all,i want to protect the relay contact from the overcurrent caused by ac mains....the rating of relay is 12vdc,20A...

i was searching for a ptc resettable switch whose trip current may be 8a,9a 0r 10a at 240V.but i dint find any...can any1 suggest me the alternative that what what can i use in place of ptc resettable switch for overcurrent protection of 12vdc relay...

any help would be highly appreciated.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
helo all,i want to protect the relay contact from the overcurrent caused by ac mains....the rating of relay is 12vdc,20A...

i was searching for a ptc resettable switch whose trip current may be 8a,9a 0r 10a at 240V.but i dint find any...can any1 suggest me the alternative that what what can i use in place of ptc resettable switch for overcurrent protection of 12vdc relay...

any help would be highly appreciated.
So wait you are using a DC relay for AC correct ????

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The problem is that the points on that relay are designed to switch 12V dc loads (automotive). The points may not open far enough (small gap) to extinguish an arc when switching off an inductive load powered from a peak voltage of 339V. Not a good idea!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you require to switch high current/voltage AC using a 12VDC supply with resettable over loads there are many sources on such as ebay for motor contactors, Telemecanique is a nice brand and have clip on resettable/adjustable overloads on the load side.
These also have a range of coil voltage options.
These O/L's normally have two auxilliary contacts for interlocking the coil itself, for e.g.
The other N.O. contact can be used for indication of some kind.
Incidentally these resettable O/L's come in stand-alone as well as the clip on type.
Max.

Dimpi

Joined Sep 6, 2013
If you require to switch high current/voltage AC using a 12VDC supply with resettable over loads there are many sources on such as ebay for motor contactors, Telemecanique is a nice brand and have clip on resettable/adjustable overloads on the load side.
These also have a range of coil voltage options.
These O/L's normally have two auxilliary contacts for interlocking the coil itself, for e.g.
The other N.O. contact can be used for indication of some kind.
Incidentally these resettable O/L's come in stand-alone as well as the clip on type.
Max.
but sir i think that will cost me more isn't it??
and more thing i want to ask,if the term overload and overcurrent protection same??i think both are diffrent isn't it?guide me

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Overload usually refers to thermal or electronic overload protection between contactor and motor and often are attached to the contactor and have an adjustable range, this device often wired to drop the contactor out on a fault.
Over-current can be a overload breaker or fuse also of some kind on the supply side.
They both essentially perform the same function.
You asked for something re-settable in place of a replaceable fuse.
Max.

Dimpi

Joined Sep 6, 2013
Overload usually refers to thermal or electronic overload protection between contactor and motor and often are attached to the contactor and have an adjustable range, this device often wired to drop the contactor out on a fault.
Over-current can be a overload breaker or fuse also of some kind on the supply side.
They both essentially perform the same function.
You asked for something re-settable in place of a replaceable fuse.
Max.
yes sir i wanted to use resettable fuse for overcurrent protection of relay adainst ac load..but i was searching of 8A,250v(or 240v)ptc polyswitch fuse.but its not available..

so my ques was if i cant use ptc polyswitch fuse for overcurrent protection then what is its alternative???please bare with me i am very new to the domain.n guide me

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How about a regular circuit breaker? PTC's typically aren't available in "higher" voltages as you have already found..