What can be put over a ripped pad/solder point?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's where radiography comes in handy!:D

Best regards
HP
That may not show narrow tracks within enclosed ground planes.

With a service manual that includes full schematics and layouts, it may be possible to trace out which circuit connections are missing - but its a long tedious job!

Any one via can connect with tracks on several layers. It could take hours to track them all down.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
That may not show narrow tracks within enclosed ground planes.
'Tis a bit of an art to be certain - 'Tho I'm proud to say I've mastered it:cool: -- And yes! I can manage it sans recourse to tomography!:) --- In case you're interested, the principle is vested in the fact that Plane-Trace-Plane is radiographically 'denser' than Plane-Unclad_Substrate-Plane:)

For all that, of course I get your point:cool: -- 'twould be asking a bit much to expect everyone shares my rather eccentric taste in hobbies:D:D:D

Very best regards
HP:)

GPhillips

Joined Jun 19, 2016
The fact that the unit is yet functional tells me that the 'collars' and/or electroplating is yet intact!:cool: -- Please! Don't even think about soldering, filing or otherwise disturbing them!:eek: -- Just seal the area with PCB lacquer and call it good!:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

PS:
Disambiguation: "PCB" above expands to 'Printed Circuit Board' as opposed to 'PolyChlorinated Biphenyls':)
Sorry for the late reply, I've checked with a few other people, and they say it definitely won't affect the functionally of the console, due to it powering on, thankfully. I'm going to follow your advice, by leaving good alone and sealing the area with PCB lacquer when I get a chance.

If there is any other soldering work I need to have done, I may leave it for professional to do, or wait until I have the proper equipment and some more experience on my side.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi everyone, this somewhat relates to my previous topic.

If a solder pad/point is ripped or damaged, I believe it won't affect the functionally of a system in a negative way, other than being unable to solder/connect a wire to that point (correct me if I'm wrong). My question is, can green lacquer (also known as "solder mask" I believe) be put over those damaged points?

I know this could sound a bit silly, but I feel it would be for cosmetic purposes and just make it look neat again I guess.

Thanks in advance.
There are a whole lot of professional products for repairing circuit boards, including teeny tiny eyelets for fixing holes in boards, and copper tape for replacing traces. It's a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to work with this stuff, but when done right, you can't tell a repair has been made.

GPhillips

Joined Jun 19, 2016
There are a whole lot of professional products for repairing circuit boards, including teeny tiny eyelets for fixing holes in boards, and copper tape for replacing traces. It's a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to work with this stuff, but when done right, you can't tell a repair has been made.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into getting the proper products, if I attempt anything myself. Do you know if there's anything out there for repairing this sort of damage? If so, anything in particular you recommend?

Since usually with a pad repair there's a trace to connect to, as I'm sure you know, but with these it's like try to connect to the other side of the board. In the pic, there are some points with traces, but others not. (FT6Ux points)