What boot loader comes with STK600 kit's ATMEGA2560 MCU card

ww_kayak

Joined Feb 1, 2014
Long story short, I messed up the fuses on an $11 widget, so I spent $500+ on tools to learn how to fix it ;)

I've covered the basics of using my new STK600 to program the the included ATMega2560 MCU card, however I'm about to start messing with fuses / loaders.

Any idea what boot loader is on it by default. (I assume there is one, if the ISP programming works?, or is that a bad assumption?)

I've read enough to know, the choice of a bootloader is subjective/application specific, but is there a standard (ie. STK500) bootloader I can use if I break it ;)

I've read the bootloader FAQ, and done lots of searching, but all my keywords are too damn common :(

Thanks,
and feel free to point me to some good reading...

odinhg

Joined Jul 22, 2009
If you program your atmega using ISP, then you don't need to use a bootloader.

You don't need to use a bootloader application unless you want to do things like self-programming of the flash memory (updating firmware over UART for example).

ww_kayak

Joined Feb 1, 2014
Which is kinda what I thought. So, as long as the SPIEN fuse is set, I'm good to go. The only reason I was wondering about the MCU card's loader is because of the BOOTSZ setting. 4k made wonder if there was a loader installed. Now that I say that I guess I should learn how to just look and see what is located in flash:)

Attachments

odinhg

Joined Jul 22, 2009
The BOOTSZ just happens to have 00 (4096W_1F000) as its default value. So it is easy to think that there is a bootloader present when you see that.

But it won't jump to the bootloader section on reset unless the BOOTRST fuse is enabled.