What are these black things that have come loose?

bleeP

Joined Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for info, now i would like to ask some further advice. Is there any possibility i could join them back where they belong to? If not, i would like to ask for advice on what do i exactly need to buy so i can get identical part.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks like all you would need to do is thread a new conductor through the bead and resolder to the board, if my original theory is right.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for info, now i would like to ask some further advice. Is there any possibility i could join them back where they belong to? If not, i would like to ask for advice on what do i exactly need to buy so i can get identical part.
You just might.. if you're able to resolder the tips to the board...
On the other hand, most probably they came loose because vibration fatigued the wires, so I'd suggest you glue them with some polyurethane paste after you make sure that they've been properly re-attached and everything else is fully functional again.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks like the single copper core fractured, so if it were me I would rewire it, and as cmartinez said, a dab of silicone rubber etc.
Max.

bleeP

Joined Apr 9, 2015
Actually they became loose because the USB port you can see in the picture was pushed back and forced them loose.
Thanks for all the tips so far, i'm still a bit unsure how to proceed because of my poor experience with electronics, so i need to ask some rather stupid questions.
Should i get some tin and attempt to solder these back in?
Sorry MaxHeadRoom but i don't entirely understand what you mean by rewiring (i'm not a native english speaker), can you please describe the process more?
Also i'm still wondering about what these exactly are, and what do i need to buy if i need to get new parts.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They appear to a single core solid copper conductor with PVC (or) insulation, if so, obtain another piece of roughly the same gauge and thread the the ferrite cores on and re-solder to the board, although it sounds as though you are not familiar with the process?
You may find that something such as single conductor Telephone cable may be the same gauge copper that you could use.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It seems to me all you need is to remove the existing conductor, even if you have to use a small drill or? to do it and replace with a fresh copper conductor.
Any substitute may be the wrong ferrite material value.
On the surface it seems like a trivial exercise?
Max.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Those appear to be epoxy dipped so rethreading may be more trouble than buying new. Are there any markings printed on the component?

You could probably construct replacements from an appropriately sized piece of wire and ferrite cores like these:

http://kgs-ind.com/products/emc/emi...round-cable-ferrite-cores-1-piece/gri-series/
Those ferrites are most likely lossy enough to glow red in the microwave (and probably crack the rotating dish if you're not careful) it doesn't have to get that hot to destroy the epoxy. OTOH: pre-assembles ferrite beads are so common with all the EMC directives, it shouldn't be all that difficult to find some salvage replacements.