What are the best electronic simulation softwares in commercial and free?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dong-gyu Jang, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dong-gyu Jang

Thread Starter Member

Jun 26, 2015

I'm looking for simulation tools for electronics to predict behavior of circuit first.

As there are many tools so far, I'm not sure which are good(especially covering a lot of commercial electronics in market as possible.).

It would be also very good if the software has good figure-making and annotation functions thus reader can understand circuit diagram easily.

Could you please recommend me softwares in commercial and free?

Darrell Teegarden likes this.
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    One of the better free electronic simulators is LTspice from Linear Technology, which is used by several on these forums, including myself.
  3. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
  4. Darrell Teegarden

Sep 8, 2015
    There's a new free online tool available at www.systemvision.com. It has a browser-based schematic tool and waveform probes, but with an industrial strength simulation engine behind it all in the cloud. You can definitely use it for simple analog circuits, but you can also use it for digital and mixed-signal circuits. You can even use it for control systems (transfer functions) and mechatronic systems.

Here's how it looks. You can try out this circuit, for example, here http://www.systemvision.com/design/current-boost-regulator/preview

be80be, Dong-gyu Jang and .W4GNS like this.
  5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    In addition to the offerings of Linear Technology (i.e. LTSpice) -- I highly recommend OrCad:)

Best regards
    PeterCoxSmith and Dr.killjoy like this.
  6. Jure Petric

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm using LTspice(free). Simple when you use to it. It comes with Linear Tehnology librarys but you can find a lot of others online.
    There is as Hypatia's Protege wrote ORCad with Lite version for students (free) (http://www.orcad.com/resources/orcad-downloads#pspice)
    , full version has huge number ob library.
    Another interesting Simulator is Proteus, which has animated symbols and you can simulate AVR, PIC ARM code with hardware (it's not free).
    For simple simulations you can use Matlab's Simulink or free version Scilab with XCos.
    Dong-gyu Jang likes this.
  7. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    LTSpice by far! It has an entire Yahoo group with millions of free components for simulation. (just google LTSpice Yahoo Group).

If you are interested as well KiCad is the best free electronics design package for schematic and PCBs.
    Dong-gyu Jang and cmartinez like this.