what are Solder pins?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samh93, Apr 19, 2012.

1. samh93

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Hey everyone. I've just made my second PCB and I'm looking for a way to improve the soldering on my boards. I found these at Maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/type-2145-pcb-solder-pins-1933

What exactly are they and how do they work?
    I put a printed board into ferric chloride to create it so the holes are really tiny and I want them to be perfect.

Thanks

Sam

2. P-MONKE

Mar 14, 2012
    These solder pins are for hobbyists, like yourself, who don't have the manufacturing capability to create through-plated holes on their double sided circuit boards.

Basically, you'd use them when you want a track to jump to the other side of the the board to avoid components or crossing other tracks.

Many people just use single strand wire or component lead off-cuts of the correct diameter - this works just as well and is considerably cheaper. Solder pins do have the advantage that, if the hole/pin size is correct, then friction will hold them in place during soldering.

EDIT: I may be wrong about these - it would appear that they can also be used for making soldered connections to parts of your circuit board.

3. samh93

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2011
    thanks for the info p-monke. I think I'll skip buying them, I assumed they were little mounting holes for your components .

Thanks

Sam

4. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I also like to use these pins for connecting wires to veroboard and printed circuit boards.