what am i looking for when buying a PIC Programmer?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I'm trying to figure out which Programmer would work for my needs

for right now for basics i need to program a PIC to use with my servo controller.

the basics for this set up will use one servo and one button.

1 Button wil do multiple things with the servo.

servo possitions in order

SP1: up; return
SP2: down; return

My budget is small but I think this might work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIC-MCU-JDM-Pro...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c1a960725#ht_2054wt_1139

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yeah, it might work (OK, probably will) but you have to remove your PIC from your project, put it ion the programmer, remover it and put it back into your breadboard just to program it.

If you get a Pickit 2 or 3 you can leave it in the breadboard, even power the breadboard off th Pickit. Plus the pickit does debugging too where you can step thru your code as it is running in your breadboard.

Trust me, you want to do that.

The PICkit costs 2-3 times what you posted but it is really worth it (says the guy who owns 2).

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I agree with Ernie -- I've got two PICkit 2's and a PICkit 3. Once you've used one, you'll see why. I've not found the need for the ZIF sockets for the e.g. 28 pin or smaller packages (but, of course, they don't hurt anything). I like the PICkit 2 because of the accessory software that comes with it (Microchip stupidly left it out of the PICkit 3 -- at least the one I have -- and EEVblog did a justifiable rant on it).

psycho

Joined Dec 28, 2010
I highly agree. I have numerous other programmers and the ONLY ones I use are my PICKIT 2 & 3.

If you will EVER use a PIC32, get the PICKIT 3 because I am not so sure that they are ever going to update the PICKIT 2 for use with them...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The JDM programmer is well known for not working. Stay away from it. The JDM programmer requires a RS232 port. And with a USB to RS232 converter it may not work at all. Go for a PICKIT 2 or 3. They cost somewhat more. But they work. This is PICKIT 2 clone. It should be OK I think. Much better than a dodgy JDM programmer
http://cgi.ebay.com/Clone-Microchip...935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5199d07ea7
As others have said. You do NOT need a ZIF socket. With a PICKIT 2/3 the chip can be programmed in circuit.

Hello,

I too use a PICKIT 2 clone, made by Sure electronics (Chinese company — they write "Have fun with us" on product boxes…). I haven't had a problem with it, and for £22 I got that and a universal ZIF socket which has come in useful.

Thanks,
Barnaby