Whaddya get for Christmas?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yeah, so, what did ya get for Christmas?

I got to spend time with my family.

My folks flew up from Georgia and we drove up to my sisters new house in Pennsylvania.

As for gifts, I got a few projects funded for the next few months ;)

Having my moms home-cooking, and singing overly loud and overly out of key Christmas tunes is enough for me.

Great times.

My elbows even allowed me to eat with my own two hands.

Who could ask for more?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Sounds like a truly blessed time.

You are a kind soul and deserving of what has been bestowed upon you.

Merry Christmas rm
Thank you much Vdm!.

I try to be the best I can be. With a family like mine, it is hard to be a bad person.

I am truly lucky.

They are the type of people that are willing to be EVERYONES family.

Anyone can sit at their table, eat their food, drink their drink, and laugh with them.

I have had friends from broken homes that were afforded the same love that was available to me.

Even friends from stable homes, and strangers, all welcome.

Don't do them, their family, or friends wrong; and you will have a surrogate family for life.

Great people. I am glad and proud to be born to them.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Lot and Lots of paid time off! I get to finish several projects that are in limbo! This includes writing.

That which does not include food, I got a Weller WLC100 temperature controlled soldering iron, and a Dremel engraving tool.

Jim got a 1.5 Terabyte hard drive. I've offered to engrave it for him, but he doesn't seem to think it would be a favor. Go figure. :confused:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I got a toy helicopter. It was a complete surprise from my brother. IR, proportional, just two controls (two motors with counter-rotating blades), LiPo battery, and cheap ($20 at JCPenney's). It is a bit of a challenge to fly. That makes it a blast.

I have yet to find an IR blind spot. It will fly out of sight in another room or below the horizon (e.g., a chair), but of course, it crashes soon after that event. Rooms are all white plaster.

According to the instructions, three can fly simultaneously. The three channel codes are 01, 10, and 00 (as I recall) in the digital signal. I had it apart once. Wow, is it small. Got it back together too. No extra screws or parts.

That's it. No one sent me spirits.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I got a Blade for my grandson last Christmas. He was 8 and had never flown before. Long story short, he embarrassed me. BTW, I have been flying RC since the very early 1950's.

It is an unsolved riddle of human genetics how such dumb F1 have such smart children. ;)

John

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
A spare car.

I'm one of those "Impossible to find a gift for" types. This is the first time I've gotten an old car. ('04 Park Avenue)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I got a subscription to makezine from my sisters boyfriend.

A can of play-doh.

A pen made from reclaimed circuit board (Ill show a picture later when I get back home)

Clothes. (Actually a nice pair of slacks from my sister that everyone is envious of) (the slacks not the sister ;) )

Money.

A few extra lbs thanks to a enormously delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

A huge bag of Skittles (I used to eat them by the handful as a kid)

No spirits this year either jpanhalt. (Probably for the best)

It isn't so bad on Christmas Eve, but Christmas day contains the addition of grandparents who dont think noon-time drunks are as enjoyable as others do. ;)

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Socks made of wool.

Winter jacket.

Winter hat

Underwear made of wool, not undies, but long ones.

Some deodorant.

and oh yes, a bottle of Jack Daniels... Mmmm the best. :)

Plus a great time with my dear-ones.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
No spirits this year either jpanhalt. (Probably for the best)

It isn't so bad on Christmas Eve, but Christmas day contains the addition of grandparents who dont think noon-time drunks are as enjoyable as others do. ;)
You either must not be of German heritage, or they have a different outlook on things.. Ever since I was a kid, the uncles and grandparents were having a beer with lunch, or breakfast on holidays. Usually room temp dark beer (like guiness).

I didn't partake though, odd man out due to driving.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
German here too. Been drinking beer with Saturday lunch (cold cuts, head cheese, herring, real cheese, and brot) for as long as I can remember. Today, I guess it would be considered some form of child abuse.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Its a 12 whiskey lunch that is the problem
Known in the Navy as a hydraulic sandwich.

Got the culinary bases covered this year - John Jameson whiskey, some nice French brandy, locally produced port, and some Old Rasputin ale. Plus new warm slippers and a hat plus some books.