westinghouse ammeter

Douggie

Joined Jul 21, 2009
I have an old westinghouse ammeter. ITs pretty cool. Encased in what looks to be a walnut box. Its in excellent condition.
ITs model no: 169514
Pat Pending: Feb 25, 96 and july 11 05.
Would anyone have an idea of the value of something like this?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Those are definitely cool instruments, but I doubt they're worth a lot (except perhaps to a collector). They're fairly common on the web, as most folks use digital instruments today.

One strategy is to look at completed auctions on ebay for similar stuff. It has been a few years since I did a lot of looking on ebay for instrumentation, but I'd hazard a guess that you might be able to get $50 or so if it was in pristine condition; half that for average condition. Ammeters and voltmeters are pretty common, but I'd imagine what would still sell pretty well would be the analog wattmeters. I remember our physics department had a few of them in the 60's made by Weston and they were quite handy.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Those are definitely cool instruments, but I doubt they're worth a lot (except perhaps to a collector). They're fairly common on the web, as most folks use digital instruments today.
Such things are a reminder of craftsmanship that will inevitably fade from the memory.

I remember those beautiful AVO multi meters that were so common in my youth. Thy had 'character'.