Wes Hayward book

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking at the Introduction to Radio Frequency Design book by Wes Hayward and alot people recommend it but there is no information on the book. Does anybody here have it? Or has read it? Or knows something about the book like chapters?

Thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I bought this book about seven years ago. I was looking for some pretty specific things and this book didn't provide them. Amazon has about a dozen reviews on the book and, from the star ratings, they all seem pretty good (nothing below 3 stars).

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hi Wbahn,

Well thats the thing the reviews seem promising but what are the chapters in the book? I dont want to buy it if the topics arn't what I'd like to learn.

Thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I can try to dig it out and give you some idea, perhaps tomorrow. I've been hoping to dive into RF for a few years now and just can't free up the time to take the plunge. But I have collected a number of books and read portions of them while lying in bed (my idea of pleasure reading) and I really can't claim to have found a single book that I really like. I have found a couple that may hold some promise once I can couple them with some hands-on playing around, but just reading them leaves me scratching my head.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
I agree with you completly that there isnt a perfect book for me to read but yes if you do have a chance to look up the chapters that would be great. I've read RF Circuit Design by Chris Bowick which was probably the best on RF I've read and I also looked at Experimental Methods in RF design which was not bad. I know that Wes Hayward participated in the Experimental Methods in Rf Design book but I dont know if its related to the book Introduction to Radio Frequency Design book that I'm interested in?

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Hi Wbahn,

Well thats the thing the reviews seem promising but what are the chapters in the book? I dont want to buy it if the topics arn't what I'd like to learn.

Thanks
It's not a good idea to try to "cherry pick" among stuff like this--until you've learnt it,you don't know whether you will need to know it!:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's not a good idea to try to "cherry pick" among stuff like this--until you've learnt it,you don't know whether you will need to know it!:D
That probably depends on the level of cherry picking. I've come across a bunch of books that, at first glance, seem aimed at giving a thorough introduction to RF but end up being almost or entirely old tube-based stuff. So wanting to know if a book is like that or not seems like reasonable cherry picking. But on the finer things, I agree with you.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
You do have a point vk6zgo oh and btw I did get my superheterodyne AM receiver to work which was if I remember correctly "rough as guts". But I would still like to know the topics/chapters of the book since it is a big purchase for me. Wbahn let me know if you have a chance to look at the book for me.

Thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've been looking for that book and can't find it. Unfortunately, my technical books have gotten scattered into at least six different collecting points around the house and I've looked in all six -- which just means that there must be at least seven.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hahaha no worries Wbahn thanks for trying I can't wait to have a collection of books myself. Oh and thanks Bertus for the 2 links I have read the basic building blocks one which was a good refresher/start and im interested in the other one aswell.