Weller WES51

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I just got my weller wes51 today and she is pretty nicee..:D:D:D:D:D:D
But I wanted to know if there is a way to test the unit without a Iron ???
Are there any problems with these units ???
What tip do you guys use and the reason I am asking I am use to hakko tips..

P.S.
My hakko took a swan dive and broke the whole case and now the only thing left it the circuit boards which still works but looks funky trying to use .... RIP Hakko 939

Thanks
Jason SR

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Why not get a broken one from Ebay and put your "guts" in a different case? When I was looking, there were quite a few listed as "not working, for parts only". And the cases look good.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
No. You cannot test the unit without the proper iron connected.

The Weller WES51 is an excellent unit. However, I had some issues and recommend some fixes for the WES51. If the iron is left on for a long period of time without use, the pencil heating element may burn out, so turn it off when not in use (30 min or more).

Another issue is if the unit will not power on, remove the rubber feet on the bottom, as well as the four captive screws. When the unit is pulled apart, you will see the circuit board in the unit. Look for F1 fuse. It is the solder-in kind, but a standard buss fuse will work if you solder leads on it from a resistor or something similar.

The iron to use with this unit can be obtained form Grainger.com:
PN: 1UNE4, Soldering Pencil, Replacement Iron, 50W

Replacement tips are also available from Grainger:
PN: 1UNG1, Soldering Iron Tip, Screwdriver, 2.4mm
PN: 1UNG2, Soldering Iron Tip, Screwdriver, .8mm
PN: 1UNG7, Soldering Iron Tip, Screwdriver, 1.6mm
PN: 1UNG8, Soldering Iron Tip, Conical, .8mm
PN: 1UNF8, Soldering Iron Tip, Long Conical, .4mm
PN: 1UNF9, Soldering Iron Tip, Long Conical, .8mm

For proper tip cleaning, use:

PN: 1UNG3, Soldering Irong Tip Stand
or the inexpensive alternative: a chore boy metal scrubber pad stuffed in an ashtray.

I hope this helps. - Radiohead

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Is it used or something?
Whats the point in "testing" a new soldering iron.. Especially one from Weller or other known brands..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I tired plugging it in and the led light ups green which I guess is a good sign ....

Why not get a broken one from Ebay and put your "guts" in a different case? When I was looking, there were quite a few listed as "not working, for parts only". And the cases look good.
I have looked too ,but the price of a broken unit is about the same price as a new soldering station .. I picked up the Weller wes51 base unit for $12 plus shipping ... So now I am not sure what to do with the hakko 939 and plus I really don't have the time to rebuild a case or really play with it since I need a station to make money and work on my projects and right now I am without a soldering station till I can afford a new iron for the station..

Is it used or something?
Whats the point in "testing" a new soldering iron.. Especially one from Weller or other known brands..
It is new to me and it was listed broken without a iron ... When I received it the unit was super clean and never seen any real use or if any ..

No. You cannot test the unit without the proper iron connected.

The Weller WES51 is an excellent unit. However, I had some issues and recommend some fixes for the WES51. If the iron is left on for a long period of time without use, the pencil heating element may burn out, so turn it off when not in use (30 min or more).

Another issue is if the unit will not power on, remove the rubber feet on the bottom, as well as the four captive screws. When the unit is pulled apart, you will see the circuit board in the unit. Look for F1 fuse. It is the solder-in kind, but a standard buss fuse will work if you solder leads on it from a resistor or something similar.

I hope this helps. - Radiohead
Thanks and I did some research my self and found the fuse and will check it out later ..
This really helps with all this info Thanks Guys

Thanks Again
Jason SR

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
This is the iron I use and I love it.

If the iron is left on for a long period of time without use, the pencil heating element may burn out, so turn it off when not in use (30 min or more).
I agree, shut it off if you won't be using for awhile. It does have an automatic shutoff of 99 minutes if not used, but I wouldn't rely on that nor would I want to leave an iron on unused for 99 minutes.

I tired plugging it in and the led light ups green which I guess is a good sign ....
Per the user's manual:

Unit is ready for use once the LED begins to flash, indicating that it has reached the operating temperature (indicated in either the “Green” or “Red” mode).
When you turn on the iron, the LED will be a solid green indicating there is power. The iron will heat up to the temperature you set it at. It is ready to use once the LED is flashing.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
This is the iron I use and I love it.

I agree, shut it off if you won't be using for awhile. It does have an automatic shutoff of 99 minutes if not used, but I wouldn't rely on that nor would I want to leave an iron on unused for 99 minutes.

Per the user's manual:

When you turn on the iron, the LED will be a solid green indicating there is power. The iron will heat up to the temperature you set it at. It is ready to use once the LED is flashing.

The led will still turn green without the iron be attached??

Swixtt

Joined Jan 25, 2014
hello, i'm a newbie on the forum here. just got a new to me 51 and it is dead. I was given it and wanted to see what was wrong with it. so I took it apart and see that the fuse is good. I do not see any voltage from the transformer though:(
would this be something easily obtained? and if so, any idea where? is it common for this type of failure after only 15min use? apparently that is all that is on it for hours!!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
hello, i'm a newbie on the forum here. just got a new to me 51 and it is dead. I was given it and wanted to see what was wrong with it. so I took it apart and see that the fuse is good. I do not see any voltage from the transformer though:(
would this be something easily obtained? and if so, any idea where? is it common for this type of failure after only 15min use? apparently that is all that is on it for hours!!
How did you check it ???
Did you check the transformer was receiving voltage???

flynhigh

Joined Nov 24, 2016
Hi,

Have you solved this only high temperature setting works issue?
Mine is doing it and did multiple testing based on the manual, "https://www.scu.edu/media/school-of...-lab-resources/Manual_WellerSolderStation.pdf"
Below is the test result.

Base Check
1. With line cord unplugged and power switch on, check for approximately 21 ohms at line cord blades
- PASS
2. With line cord plugged in and power switch on, check for 24VAC ±10% between pins #2 and #6 of tool receptacle
- 4.2VAC (#2 & #3 - 27.84VAC, #2 & #4 - 27.84VAC)
3. Check transformer secondary for 24VAC ±10% - 27.84VAC
4. Check wiring from tool receptacle to printed circuit board
- #2-red(bottom), #3-orange(2nd from top), #4-yellow(3rd from top), #5-ground, #6-red(top - J1)
5. Check for continuity from pin #5 of tool receptacle to line cord ground pin
- PASS

Tool Check
1. Check heater resistance from pin 2 to pin 6 (see Figure 1) of the tool connector, should measure 9 - 11 ohms
- 10 ohms
2. Check sensor resistance from pin 3 to pin 4 of the tool connector, should measure 1 - 2 ohms
- 2.3 ohms
3. Check resistance from pin 5 of the tool connector to tip, should measure 2 ohms maximum
- 0.4 ohms

One thing that's odd to me is #2 & #6 pins measured only 4.2V while #2 & #3 or #4 measured 27.84VAC.
Is this wrong?
The wire connections seem correct.
Can anyone help on this issue?