Weller WES51 Service Manual

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by quanttrom, Oct 21, 2012.

1. quanttrom

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    So my WD1 (incorrect title !) died recently.

I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but I am wondering if there is a service manual/schematics for it?

The only PDF I could find has some specs and an exploded assembly view which might be good enough but having schematics would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
  3. quanttrom

Nov 30, 2010
    I just contacted them and lets hope for the best.

I opened it up. It is a relatively simple design. There is a transformer with 12V and 24V taps(working fine) and the whole design revolves around a PIC micro controller.

I measure the power supply rail for the uC and it seems like it has a stable +5V power supply.

The issue is that the heating element never heats up and the display never shows anything. I believe the uC might be gone.

4. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Have you checked the connection between the soldering iron and the base? There coould be a fault there as well.

5. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    the 24v ac will feed the iron heater, possibly with a triac , or it maybe dc and a pwm triac.

6. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Heating element OC?

7. quanttrom

Nov 30, 2010
    It seems like the Heating element is fed with a TRIAC from the 24V.

I've tried different heating elements and none work.

I though it may be a power supply issue because the LCD display won't display anything.

8. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    I might have a manual. I will copy it, convert it to PDF and re-post in a couple days.

9. quanttrom

Nov 30, 2010
    Wow I am amazed !!! They actually send me a whole bunch of documents on it ! Including what seems to be full schematics !

I will look at it and report back later.