Weller 8200 Soldering Iron Tips

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by markzz, May 25, 2016.

1. markzz

Thread Starter New Member

May 25, 2016
    I was at the electronics store today and they got 2 styles of tips;
    7135W that have straight legs, without nuts.

7135N that have curved legs, with nuts.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=7135n&iax=1&ia=images

The one that's on my unit now is a tip with curved legs with nuts and it costs about $8.
    The other package without nuts I get 2 tips for the same price.

Is it appropriate to buy the ones without nuts and bend the legs and reuse the old nuts.
    I had bought 2 new units now, when the old one broke I bought a new tip. That one didnt last long at all as I put too much pressure on the tip when soldering which bends the tip, which they can make contact and short circuits, then I bend it back to operate properly. Now I will not put pressure on the tip when I solder.

I dont understand why one is different then the other, unless Weller sold another style of 8200 soldering iron that used bolts to crimp the legs.
    There are 2 electrodes that come out, hollow in the middle with holes on either side where the legs go in. Slip the curved tip into the hollow, jiggle to go through the hole

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Had it all typed and it went away.... I don't have an 8200 but I do have an 8100. The holes in the side of the barrels of the gun can be used to bend the ears of the straight legged tip. Simply cut the old tip, save the nuts, thread the nuts onto the new tip, insert the ends of the straight legs of the new tip into the holes (from the side), bend, and install. The only difference between the two tips offered for sale is that one has nuts, the other doesn't. The difference in cost is due to the nuts. You can also make your own tip for 10 Ga solid copper wire.

PS... Don't forget to put the nuts on before bending the legs. Don't ask how I know about that.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. markzz

Thread Starter New Member

May 25, 2016
    The 8100 and the 8200 look very similar.

When you bend your legs on the tip for it to fit, does it seem like a lot of effort to bend them?

I just tried to bend the ends a little with my fingers with the tips still in the package and it seemed very stiff. I know its of no real comparison.
    I tried also with some pliers on my broken tip. It just seemed like a lot of effort with the pliers, maybe thats a good sign. But if you have been doing it for so long with no issues then I dont see a problem. I just questioned it when my first thoughts to bend it and save $ with getting 2 tips.

The got so many different tips for these units. Rope cutting tip, spade tip.......
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WLj7z9mYL.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply.

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Here is a youtube link of a method using vice grips...