Welcomed to the ranks of the unemployed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's baloney. I can find no reference to a requirement of the ACA that state high risk pools are shut down. The Texas Legislature decided on their own to close thier state run pool.

Florida has no such pool, which left me with no viable option for obtaining health insurance, even though my 'pre-existing condition' hasn't existed for 5 years. Under the ACA, I can finally get the coverage I've been denied.
So I guess it's good that you've had coverage for the last three years.

Or haven't you?

zapta

Joined Sep 30, 2013
Florida has no such pool, which left me with no viable option for obtaining health insurance, even though my 'pre-existing condition' hasn't existed for 5 years. Under the ACA, I can finally get the coverage I've been denied.
Good deal for you, others will pay for your higher risk.

It's a cost shifting thing between states, federal, a-priori healthy people and p-ariori sick people. Some win, some loose.

In our family we are on the loosing side overall.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Others will get a benefit. If I get a serous illness, I won't need to go into bankruptcy to pay my treatment. I won't need expensive emergency treatment in place of regular visits. My mortgage and other commitments will continue to be paid, thus lowering the risk for other. I won't need to become indigent and become a burden on society. I will be able to continue to work and pay federal, state and local taxes, as well as continue to support the economy via the products I produce and by purchasing the things I consume. I'll be able to contribute in other non-currency ways; I'll continue to help my community. It's a much better deal that what the other were gonna get.

I am still required to pay my own premiums, so there is no handout there. I'm in outstanding physical health, and so much less risk of many other's who are not prohibited form purchasing basic health insurance. I have been and continue to be more than willing to do the responsible thing and pay for the coverage I need. In a world incresing barefit of the responsible, this is a very good thing.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yet you seem to be talking about how you WILL be able to have insurance. Why don't you have it now? Or perhaps I am just misreading you.

zapta

Joined Sep 30, 2013
Brownout, it's the old I-will-force-you-to-help-me-because-this-is-for-your-own-benefit-and-I-know-it-better-than-you argument.

In the same way I can justify why you should buy my kids a Rigol DS1102D.

You say that you are not a higher risk, apparently the acuators disagree. A-priori healthy people and the tax payers will pay more more to cover your a-priori higher risk.

I am not blaming you, government gave you a good deal and every sane person would take it.

As for the OP, loosing a job is bad, both for the wallet and the morale. Hope that you will keep your spirit high, be flexible, and find a new job soon. Having supportive friends and family helps in this kind of situations.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You're not being forced to help me. You can always take the option out and pay the fine. If having insurance is such a burden, then taking that option might be your way out. In fact, I have the option to do the responsible thing and pay my own way, whereas I did not have that option before. Has nothing whatsoever to do with knowing better than you. Further, I never said it was for you own benefit. I am demonstrating that the sum of my contributions as a healthy individual are real and tangable, and outwiegh any supposed burden my health insurance coverage imposes on other people. Do you think otherwise? If you do, then let's hear you make an argument against the contributions I make.

BTW, I pay for educating kids who aren't mine via taxes that go to state and federal education funds, and so in a way I do buy those kids computers, etc. I don't have a problem with that. It's one of the many ways I contribute to the education of yours and many other kids.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You're not being forced to help me. You can always take the option out and pay the fine.
How is that not being forced to help you. And remember, it's not a "fine", but a "tax". It was a "fine" when they wanted to pretend it didn't count as an increase in taxes, but then it became a "tax" when it appeared a fine was going to be found unconstitutional.

And it has been stated explicitly that the tax/penalty is for the purpose of helping to subsidize the insurance of the high-risk policy holders. So how is that not being forced to help you?

But I think we are moving headlong into the "no politics" area, so although there are lots more I would like to say/debate/discuss, I'm going to bow out at this point. Feel free to counter what I've said here. I'll read it and ponder it, but I won't respond.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That is the very definition of insurance of any kind. Good drivers who never get in accidents provide the $$$ that fix the cars of those who do. People who build homes in safe areas provide the $$$ that goes to rebuild the homes that keep getting destroyed in the flood zones and hills where the houses slide down into the valley every ten years.

The difference is that you can't trade your body in: you're stuck with the one God gave you. You may live a long healthy life, or you may have illnesses. Under the present system, people with serious illnesses basically have their lives ruined. The ACA is not a perfect solution but I think it's better than what we have now.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
How is that not being forced to help you.
How is it? What I do get is the opportunity to buy and pay for my health coverage, an option I didn't get before. But as I stated, if my having health insurance imposes a burden directly on you, you can save alot of money by opting out.

And remember, it's not a "fine", but a "tax". It was a "fine" when they wanted to pretend it didn't count as an increase in taxes, but then it became a "tax" when it appeared a fine was going to be found unconstitutional.
Fine, it's a tax. Just as the tax I pay to fund public education. But you're off a little bit. The Supreme court, in stating it's ruling, said it amounted to a tax. The SCOTUS changed the definition.

And it has been stated explicitly that the tax/penalty is for the purpose of helping to subsidize the insurance of the high-risk policy holders. So how is that not being forced to help you?
Because I don't receive any subsidies. I pay the full premiums out of my own pocket.

And the subsidies are not explicitly for high risk policy holders. It's for those who need help to pay their premiums. I don't fall into that catagory.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
That is the very definition of insurance of any kind. Good drivers who never get in accidents provide the $$$ that fix the cars of those who do. People who build homes in safe areas provide the $$$ that goes to rebuild the homes that keep getting destroyed in the flood zones and hills where the houses slide down into the valley every ten years.
Hola Bounty,

Being statistical, eh?

Those good drivers, had been good ones up to now but you could not swear they will continue being so in the future or just simply run into troubles requiring the help insurance provides. Besides what is compulsory, when those good (and bad) drivers take insurance is with covering themselves in mind. Even if they see themselves as good drivers. Don't we all? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hola Bounty,

Being statistical, eh?
No, I was being philosophical. The entire operating principle of any insurance is that a very large group creates a pool of $$$ to pay the (mostly) unforseen losses of the few.

The point is that private health insurance would simply refuse to insure anybody with a medical problem, because they will have more claims in the future. Since they cost more than average, cut them out. Makes good economic sense, but it is morally bankrupt. Basically, we throw away that segment of the population.

Just my opinion.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I basically agree with what you said. Like I said, I will likely have to use the new service, but whether people agree with it or not we need to keep the politics out of the forums.

Thanks for all the well wishers.

I think this thread is pretty well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Elektrishun Marketplace 26