Weird TV - no pic no sound

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Adela, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Adela

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello and I hope I chose the proper forum?

My CRT TV worked well for years but suddenly the other day stopped showing the picture and the sound. I'm no technician but wonder if it's something I could correct somehow myself? I did buy a new flat panel TV but waiting to decide whether to change to FIOS or some other company (another puzzle for me!) so meantime:

1. The power is on and showing the correct channel "3".

2. I can see and hear the pictures if I choose the channels through the on-screen channel guide, but won't work on its own.

3. I can record instantly or time record and can watch the recorded programs with a Panasonic VCR.

Isn't it weird? I hope it's something that can be easily fixed by me? I noticed that all connections are correct, I didn't drop it or hit it, or even moved it, etc.

If anyone has any ideas I'll be so very grateful. [​IMG] Adela

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  2. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    make and model required so i can look up the service manual

3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    It almost sounds like you have a cable or satellite box doing the tuning for you. If the box is left on, most will block any signal from the antenna, that I assume is connected to the back of the cable/satellite box. Try turning the cable/satellite box OFF and see what you get.

It also may be that you need to access the TV set's menu function and select the proper input/tuner function.

Adela and wayneh like this.
  4. Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello and thank you sheldons. Sorry, silly of me, the TV is a Zenith Model #S19025 S.

5. Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you Bill, I do have a cable digital box, but it's always on because I have a daily time recording. When I turned it off it didn't bring back the picture...

I don't understand about tuning, but if I go to the menu what would be the proper input/tuner function for me to set? Thanks again.

6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Before we get into the menu options of your TV, let us know what kind of antenna you have and how it is connected, either to the TV or the cable box. If the TV is set for channel 3, and you can use the on-screen channel guide, that info is coming from the cable box. To get normal Over The Air (OTA) programming, you need and antenna of some type. Also, how far are you from a major metropolitan area that has active TV stations.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Please click on "User CP" near the top of the page and enter some description of where on the planet you are.

8. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey, #12, if posters do that, we won't be able to play 20 questions even if the original problem could be solved in two or three.;)

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Good point.

10. Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Hi Bill, I think the "antenna" is the digital box that my servers sold me, isn't it? It's connected to the VCR and the TV. the TV is always set at 3, and yes, it comes from the cable box. I live in the heart of NYC! lol! so I guess that part is ok.

However, the other day I was able to turn the TV on and see the pic and sound. It seems that now it does it from time to time. So I guess I can live with it as is until I have a chance to connect my new TV.

Thank you so very much for all your help! :)

11. Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Now you know I'm on planet NY! :)

#12 likes this.
  12. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012

Modern TV's often have filters that suppress signals that don't meet the criteria. Sounds like you accidentally turned up the brightness to a non-zero value. :D

13. Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    This is particularly weird since I can choose the channels by going to the onscreen guide and thus get pic and sound as if nothing happened. Also, I noticed that occasionally it corrects itself without my help... :confused:

But I've decided to live with it for the short time until I finish connecting my new TV and will also see if I can change to FIOs too.

Thanks very much! :) Adela