Weird things to eat (and to drink)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Some significant percentage of young males were not qualified for military service in some long ago war because they were so frail from lack of nutrition.

I went into a local store that specialized in British foods and found most of them weren't what I'd call food.

I'm sure there are good foods in England, but some of them just don't translate into American!
Well I guess I made the cut as her Imperial Majesty sent me an invitation to join her in N.Africa, (she didn't show up, BTW!).
As to common foods, I believe they still enjoy Chitlins in the south, I might assume, if you know what they are and have seen them prepared, you have never tried them!
(BTW, no one eats them in Britain now AFAIK).
Max. .

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I had to look it up.:rolleyes:

One of my Mexican friends used to get drunk and sit around repeating, "Let's go get some Menudo".
It smells just like a cattle auction barn!
I think that's called a stockyard.
The taste of it is simply Cayenne pepper.
I hope the cook wasn't offended that I refused to eat it.
I only ordered it because I wanted to find out what my drunk friend was talking about.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I tried meundo; I didn't study it visually or smell it because I knew that if I did, I wouldn't be able to eat it. Took one bite; like bubble gum, it just won't chew up. ended up swallowing a mouthful un(properly)chewed, almost choked. Then I studied it visually and identified colon polyps and such and then I DID choke.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Chitlins (or chitterlings, if you want to be proper) can be boiled and eaten, or boiled, then fried and eaten. After they are fried, they can be very tasty.

What's fun is to be at a gathering where people are eating boiled chitlins, and slip a couple of corn kernels in someone's plate under their chitlins.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Chitlins (or chitterlings, if you want to be proper) can be boiled and eaten, or boiled, then fried and eaten. After they are fried, they can be very tasty.

IMO, Anybody that has seen them cleaned (what comes out) and soaked and experienced the smell, would never go near them. :eek:
Max.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like many foods, chitlins got their start from people who would go hungry if not for that source of protean. I'm not starving, not even close.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Once upon a time, I saw a video of a lion eating intestines. He was not attempting to eat it in pieces, just forcing it down length wise as the poop ran out the other end. I can understand now why he wasn't trying to eat it in chunks. According to strantor, it's nearly impossible to chew through it.

It's repulsive to imagine what went on in that lions stomach in the next 12 hours!
Like, no wonder they look like their belly is about to burst, it's all in one string!
Yeeech!

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
IMO, Anybody that has seen them cleaned (what comes out) and soaked and experienced the smell, would never go near them. :eek:
Max.
I worked in a meat market in high school, have taken part in hog killin' in the fall, and have killed, field dressed, skinned, and butchered lots of big game. It's all the same to me.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have eaten intestines wrapped around liver and cooked. It's a pretty common traditional food around these parts. It's all about how you cook your food, if you ask me.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have eaten intestines wrapped around liver and cooked. It's a pretty common traditional food around these parts. It's all about how you cook your food, if you ask me.
Eggsactly. Anyone who has ever gathered eggs from the next understands that all food from animals often is contaminated with excrement. I have a niece that won't eat a piece of cheese unless it came in a plastic wrapper.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
We here in Iceland have similar traditional dish but we use the stomach of the sheep and put inside mashed up kidneys and livers plus some other ingredients and then sow the stomach up and boil it. It is really good(at least to my taste). And just to clarify when it has been boiled and is prepared for eating we remove the stomach and eat the stuff inside.

Another traditional "dish" which most foreigners find a bit repulsive and of course many younger Icelanders too, is the meat of sheep heads. It does not taste bad but it is a bit off putting having your dinner looking at you while you eat it :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a niece that won't eat a piece of cheese unless it came in a plastic wrapper.
I used to have a wife that wouldn't eat fish unless it was wrapped in plastic. :D
I could have a hundred pounds of grouper that I caught, in the freezer, and she would buy fish at the grocery store.:confused:

But then, she was the kind of person that would pay $900 a year for cable TV movies, and go to the local movie theater.:confused::confused:

Oh well. The important word is, "used to".