Weird things to eat (and to drink)

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
For a source of weird food, tune the " Travel channel " and catch some of the stuff Andrew Zimmern tries from places around the globe...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You know, eggs are actually pretty weird food when you give a bit of thought to what they are and where they come from.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My sister ate lemons.

I cringed every time I saw that, just because they are so sour! A week ago, she told me all her teeth were ruined by doing that and now she has to get dentures. (This happened over a period of 50 years.)

Whew! I missed a bullet by following my instincts instead of monkey see, monkey do.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Not really scary strange, but this Winter I had a craving for chocolate ice cream, smothered in high quality eggnog.

Looked like hell, but for a few months; I had some every night.
I guess I'm over it now.;)

It would take too long to type out all the crazy food I had as a kid, such as frying crayfish in a steel can over campfire. Catfish on a flat rock.
Forgot the salt shaker.......next time.

This list would not be complete without a platter or two of tasty offerings from the Third World, a few of which bring to mind a line from the Eagles' classic "Hotel California" - " In the masters chambers, they're gathered for a big feast. They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast"

Stir-Fried flying termites
Barbequed giant pouch rats ( Also used to sniff out land mines in Angola.)
Dogs, cats or bats a-la-carte
Sautéed filet of snake, snail or monitor lizard
Road-kill surprise
Beetle larva jambalaya

This list goes on, but I need to go grab a bite to eat. All this typing has given me the munchies.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
No one mentioned haggis?

Not many people are aware, but the fastest land animal is actually the haggis (in terms of speed not velocity, as it has to climb mountains in the Highlands, unlike cheetahs in Africa). This would make hunting them very tricky, if it were not for the fact that haggises have one leg shorter than the other. This means they can only run 'round in circles. Thus, it is quite easy to catch one - you just have to walk in the opposite direction.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
No one mentioned haggis?

Not many people are aware, but the fastest land animal is actually the haggis (in terms of speed not velocity, as it has to climb mountains in the Highlands, unlike cheetahs in Africa). This would make hunting them very tricky, if it were not for the fact that haggises have one leg shorter than the other. This means they can only run 'round in circles. Thus, it is quite easy to catch one - you just have to walk in the opposite direction.
Your story isn't adding up. According to google, haggii are quadrupeds.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No one mentioned haggis?

If one leg us shorter than the other and they live in the highlands, then they are perfectly suited to walk the sides oh hills without tipping over. The only problem (like you mentioned), they have to keep to the right (or left) of the mountain.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Sweet mustard mixed with water and microwaved for 30 seconds. Me and my roommate were quite poor at the time and had eaten every edible thing in the house.

Does not taste so bad but do not recommend either.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I still eat peanut butter and banana on toasted rye bread. Back in the 50's I had a friend that would spread butter on a cabbage leaf, roll it up and eat it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I knew a kid from Germany that spread bacon grease on bread and ate that. Very strange to an American! All this talk about killer fats!

If you're an Eskimo, fat is necessary for survival, and freezing to death comes a lot faster than cholesterol problems. Four inches of blubber, yum!

I'm old now and I don't buy butter or margarine or cooking oil or bacon. I have decided that coating my food (or my insides) with fat or grease is a bad thing. When you can't go out and run the calories off, you just stop eating them. What little metabolism I have left is better suited to straining the nutrients out of lean food.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hard to digest food burns more calories than processed food (ie, cooking). That is why raw almonds are considered low calorie.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The stories I've heard about England! Some significant percentage of young males were not qualified for military service in some long ago war because they were so frail from lack of nutrition.

I went into a local store that specialized in British foods and found most of them weren't what I'd call food.

I'm sure there are good foods in England, but some of them just don't translate into American!