Weird things to eat (and to drink)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Here a few drinkables preparations for a starter:

1. Black tea with orange juice (added to the hot tea).
2. Black tea with coca-cola.
3. And something really weird: Add 3 Maoam's into the cup with hot tea, they will dissolve, and actually give it a milky appearance.

Foods:

1. Heating deep frozen pizza in the microwave, using the package as plate
2. How about eating raw salmon?

I guess you did not know the one with Maoam's.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Here a few drinkables preparations for a starter:

1. Black tea with orange juice (added to the hot tea).
2. Black tea with coca-cola.
3. And something really weird: Add 3 Maoam's into the cup with hot tea, they will dissolve, and actually give it a milky appearance.

Foods:

1. Heating deep frozen pizza in the microwave, using the package as plate
2. How about eating raw salmon?

I guess you did not know the one with Maoam's.
Wait, you recently said that you've visited Japan and can only mention black tea mixtures and frozen pizza? There are all kinds of strange things to eat in Japan (by western standards).

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Wait, you recently said that you've visited Japan and can only mention black tea mixtures and frozen pizza? There are all kinds of strange things to eat in Japan (by western standards).
Sure but this time, it is about regular foods found locally.

In large cities you have chinese shops (still not the same as japanese), but otherwise, most of the ingredients are not available.

By the way Kimchi is korean, not japanese or chinese (but at the end of the day it pretty much reminds of cabbage, even if it is not cabbage).

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So, you're after odd combinations of everyday foods, not exotic foods?

On the boat, I used to drink "hot cocklet" - put 2 packets of swiss miss hot cocoa mix in a cup, fill with the strongest, most caustic black coffee you can imagine, stir, enjoy.

My dad eats banana sandwiches; banana slices and mayonnaise on white bread.

As a young kid I used to demand "murple surple sandwiches" - apply maple syrup liberally to one side of a white bread slice, fold, enjoy.

One dish that I used to always make was "beer taters" - chop up enough potatoes (bite sized chunks) to fill a baking dish, over-fry a bunch of bacon so it crumbles, sprinkle that on the potatoes, fill the dish to the top with your favorite beer, add some spices (salt, whatever else you like), mix it up, and bake it until the potatoes get soft (you might need to add more beer as it evaporates). Once soft, remove the dish and layer the top with no less than 2lbs of shredded cheese, put back in the oven, and bake until the cheese gets a brown crusty layer on top.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
yes I was asking for these kinds of foods.

How about black Jamaica Rum with Vanilla Ice cream?

Or breaking spaghetti into tiny chunks, and use all the cooking water (dont spill it away).

With your help I hope to open a blog, goggle community, and release a print book as well in order to make a lot of money.

One shop here in the neighbourhood sells some American candy specialities- mostly chocolate etc. bars i never saw before, and including Kool Aid.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
How about black Jamaica Rum with Vanilla Ice cream?
From the top of head I do not remember the taste of Black Rum. But I know that using some Brown Jamaica Rum in Vanilla Ice cream is quite tasty. To this you can also add small bits of dark chocolate, a very good combination

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
As a student with no kitchen, and no catered food on weekends, you have to be quite inventive with how you cook the food too. :D

Breakfast is two boiled eggs, which I make by filling up my kettle, putting the eggs in, then taping down the switch until they are ready.

Then there is also this method (no hairdryer though):

It is surprisingly effective, although I make a simple 'pan' out of tin foil first.

If I fancy a sandwich, I'll often buy a cheap no meat one, and a pack of meat separate, and then combine the two - makes a seriously meaty sandwich which is cheaper than the meaty ones they sell.

Attachments

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
I just started reading "Cooking with Fernet Branca" by James Hamilton-Paterson. Here are the ingredients for his ice cream:

- 15 large gloves of garlic
- 150 grams of granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold double cream
- 1/4 pint of Fernet Branca
- Fennel for decoration

Sounds delicious! E

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Coca-Cola and the juice from a jar of dill pickles mixed together in equal proportions and served over ice.
that's realy weird and also highly unsual. How does it taste like? What's special about it, compared to just the acidic dill juice or coca-cola on it's own?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just had a "salted Carmel dirty milk shake" last night. Vanilla cream, a bit of milk and blend until smooth. Warm some Carmel and add a good pinch of kosher salt and stir, then gently swirl that into the milkshake. Add a double-shot jack Daniels, Johnny walker or what ever similar you have.

I was not sure when we ordered it but I'll say yes again tonight.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My wife thinks it's pretty odd when I eat microwaved cheese. Just put a slice of cheese on a plate and microwave it about 30 second. Swiss or cheddar. The taste doubles in.. tastiness. But for a 3X multiplier of cheese tastiness, it should be fried on the stove until brown and crispy.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
My wife thinks it's pretty odd when I eat microwaved cheese. Just put a slice of cheese on a plate and microwave it about 30 second. Swiss or cheddar. The taste doubles in.. tastiness. But for a 3X multiplier of cheese tastiness, it should be fried on the stove until brown and crispy.
+1 for cheese curds heated.

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Tried first, to gross out the grandkids. But I like them now.

Long time Mountain Dew addict. (My only vice) MD free for a year now. After VolleyBall guzzle 2 liters 50-50 MD & OJ.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@Sparky49
As a student with no kitchen and no money, a room temperature can of chili was a day worth of food. All I needed was a dollar and a spoon. I didn't have pizza for 3 years because a delivered pizza would have cost me at least 4 days of food money. Now I am a lot richer and I have an iron and a hair dryer. :D

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Early in my career a co-worker was often strapped for lunch money.
As a boy there was never enough bread for his large family.
He would buy a loaf of bread for lunch and eat the whole thing. Next day it might be a lb of bananas.