Weird things of this world

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
There's many weird things in this world of us. People do calculations and stuff just to make you think,... wow, how did he do that.

One of these calculations is, take the last 2 digits of the year you were born and add it to your age you will become this year. The answer will read "111"

This will be the case with each and every one of you. So, to those of you that have enough braincells. please explain this to me in words (no calculations would be excepted because you'll just confuse me even more)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you add your age (on your birthday this year) to your birth year you get 2011 (this year), it's not much more complicated than that.
If you do your calculation next year you will get 112.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wouldn't work for my grandpa, as he' be over 100. He's gone now, but I wonder who the world oldest person is. Betcha it would fail on them.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Let the current year by Y and your age in years be n. Then the year you were born is Y - n (excluding fencepost errors). Now, take the year you were born and add n to it -- what do you get? (Y - n) + n, which of course is Y. See -- you should have paid attention in that freshman algebra class in high school. :p

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Let the current year by Y and your age in years be n. Then the year you were born is Y - n (excluding fencepost errors). Now, take the year you were born and add n to it -- what do you get? (Y - n) + n, which of course is Y. See -- you should have paid attention in that freshman algebra class in high school. :p
Hmmm you got me on that one. I hate algebra.Actually it was the teacher i hate the most because he always said, if the world have to depend on you then it would be a dark day for the rest of us.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
If you add your age (on your birthday this year) to your birth year you get 2011 (this year), it's not much more complicated than that.
If you do your calculation next year you will get 112.
What yo just said isn't weird it's at least logical

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@soda, Someonesdad showed that the answer is "Y". The last digits of which are 011. Yet your teaser gave 111 -- at least for people not born in this century. Can you explain where that other "1" comes from?

John

(BTW, it does too work for people more than 100. It they were born in the 19th century, however, you don't get 111).

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
77 + 34 = 111

I was born in 1977

I am 34

But had I did this problem on Jan 9th, (the day before my birthday this year) I would still be 33

77 + 33 = 110

So it matters WHEN in the year you do it.

[ed]
Ah.. I had to read closer.. soda said "THE AGE YOU WILL BECOME THIS YEAR".

I missed that ;)
[/ed]

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One of these calculations is, take the last 2 digits of the year you were born and add it to your age you will become this year. The answer will read "111"
Does this help?

John

BTW, my post to Soda was so he could share the enjoyment of solving math. Ah ha, as Martin Gardner used to say.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Every one is 111,now that some thing.Forget about the days off for
birthdays and all that cake,hugs and kisses,the 111 misses.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
I'm still waiting for one of you to explain to me what this is all about, so it won't help if you ask me anything about it. My sister is the one that's behind this 111 thing

I have already sent her 3 mails but she said she's not going to let go on this one.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I thought your answers in posts #5 and #6 meant you understood. Someonesdad's explanation in post #4 is about as simple as it can get. John

Edit: Try this: If you wanted to calculate your birth year, you would subtract the age you will be in 2011 from 2011. Right? Do you see that? Well, if you reverse the process, you get the same answer.

Now, about the "extra "1." Remember, when you said to use just the last two digits of the year of your birth? When you do that, you are actually subtracting 1900 from that year. Now, if you add that back to the 111, you get, 2011. That is, the current year. If you don't do the first subtraction of 1900, then you would simply get 2011, not 111.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This has almost nothing to do with anyone's age. It is simply about representing the current year, 2011, as the sum of two other numbers, one of which is your age.

My reference to Chinese has to do with their custom of counting the year you were in, not the year you completed. Thus at birth, you were in your 1st year. The trivial effect of that custom is to make everyone a year older. Of course, they are really the same age as everyone else in the West born on the same date.

I should also mention another custom of celebrating on the same day everyone's birthday in a particular year (i.e., you celebrated the year you were born, not the particular day).

I am not sure either custom is still followed widely, except probably for certain rituals.

FYI, some of our (US) government programs count the year you were born, not the date. Ever wonder why?

John

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Hi to all of you,

Hmm, thought i have to admit that i misunderstood all of you. My home language is Afrikaans and i'm not used to the way you talk English.It's usally difficult fore someone who's native language isn't English to show or talk emotions or anything but the normal things, in a different language

I will think twice next time when i got something on my mind and rather not post a tread in of topic's.

I got no hard feelings to any one here, thought it's anyway your forum. I really hope you understand what i'm trying to say.