Weird project

stealthc

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I'm curious if anybody here would have any thoughts on a counter-intuitive device which I am considering figuring out. No this isn't an exercise in practicality. How would one construct a device that plugs into an AC outlet that would waste 1500w of power?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
power=sq(Voltage)/R
calculate Resistance(R),
and then dissipate..this is the trickier part..if it doesn't get dissipated say goodbye to the resistor or fuse.:D

stealthc

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Nice but how would I dissipate that amount of juice? That's essentially what I'm trying to figure out. LOL. Is there any way to dissipate that amount of juice as EM radiation as opposed to heat? I'm aiming for (in order of preference):
cheap as possible
compactness
durability

It's hard to believe making something that doesn't work well could be so friggin hard!!!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A 1500 watt lamp puts some energy out in EM radiation. The heat generated is another form of EM radiation. From that, a 1500 watt heating element would be good.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Nice but how would I dissipate that amount of juice? That's essentially what I'm trying to figure out. LOL. Is there any way to dissipate that amount of juice as EM radiation as opposed to heat? I'm aiming for (in order of preference):
cheap as possible
compactness
durability

It's hard to believe making something that doesn't work well could be so friggin hard!!!
It dissipates in the form of heat. If it doesn't produces sound, light or other forms of usable energy, then all the energy is wasted to produce heat. It is a heater, basically.

It could be a toaster (a very powerful one). :D

A 1500 watt lamp puts some energy out in EM radiation. The heat generated is another form of EM radiation. From that, a 1500 watt heating element would be good.
It is more correct to say that a form of EM produces heat by the means of radiation (or that a form of EM radiation is also a form of heat). There are three types of heat transfer: radiation (EM), convection and and conduction.