Web Design

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by mentaaal, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mentaaal

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi all, I am considering introducing myself at the web development scene. I am no stranger to a pc and have 3 semesters of c++ under my belt but would like to try my hand at some web site design with a view to creating a web server. This is purely a matter of some curiosity.

I am reading a c++ book by deitel and deitel and am interested with the idea of CGI and server side scripting in general. Basically, I would like to know if it is valueble for me to spend a considerable amount of time learning html?(as it does seem like a logical place to begin) Its very easy to understand and I understand that it is only a mark up language so perhaps if there are any web developers out there I would appreciate some advice on where to start. I have some books on html and php and will have no problem accessing information on flash and javascript from my college library. I know there are software packages out there that can do nearly all of the above for you so with that in mind I would like to know what is the most valueble to spend some time on.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. mentaaal

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Looks quite good. Thanks

4. the

Aug 27, 2009
    I realize this topic is a little old but I thought I would reply anyways.

The web development is broad, so you can break it down by saying that the web development is made up into both client-side and server-side programs (I say programs to refer to what is used to generate and run the code).

Client-side has to do with all the things a user can see. This is where web design comes in. Server-side has to do with generating the client-side and dealing with (form) data.

Client-side languages include:

XHTML (HTML and XHTML are two different languages. HTML was written in SGML, XHTML was written in XML, XHTML is what the W3 (people who make web standards) suggests to use), CSS, and JavaScript.

Server-side languages include:

PHP, SQL (this is the part where you can deal with data), and countless other languages. You can use the common gateway interface (CGI) to allow external programs to interact with your web server. This allows you to write server-side software in languages like C++.

Unless you only want to deal with incoming data (data submitted using forms), you have to learn HTML (or XHTML). Besides dealing with data, generating the HTML and the client-side code is what server-side deals with.

My suggestion would be to go to the website bertus suggested (http://www.w3schools.com/) and learn HTML and XHTML.

As for C++ goes, unless you're using some CGI library, you'll find that programming CGI applications with it may be a bit tedious.

5. ryta

Aug 27, 2009
    hi i think you must go for PHP and MYSQL they both will really help you out and you will become a good web designer after learning these technologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009