Weather balloon

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by simmi, Dec 29, 2009.

1. simmi

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Hi.
    This is my first post :)

Well the Idea is to make a circuit that can measure temperature, humidity, altitude and something to track it ( where it eventually lands ).

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to store the data from the sensors in a memory on the board so it can be retrived later.

Basicly I need a circuit that polls the sensors every 5 secs or so and stores it in the memory.

Any old project of yours or something, even with only one sensor, would be nice to take a look at.

Thanks in advance.
    Simmi

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    There have been several articles in "NUTS & VOLTS" on data acquisition instrumentation for "near space" balloon launches. They used PICAXE or Basic Stamp micro-controllers for the logging data. They can probably be adapted to your requirements.

http://www.nutsvolts.com/index.php?/magazine/column/near_space

Ken

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. dsp_redux

Apr 11, 2009
    I once used a dsPIC4033F who could do that with ease. Aquire the data from the sensor and transfer them to an EEPROM and that's about it. Do you need further guidance or only pointers?

4. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    You may even be able to get a lot of it done already searching out Model Rocket Telemetry boards already made. I'm sure if you hit some model rocketry forums you could find some open source boards you could just add a couple things too.

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I recently made a gps logger that stores data on SD card, using AVR microcontroller.

6. simmi

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 29, 2009

If you could guide me a little more it would be greatly appreciated :)

This dsPOC4033F, I cannot find anything about it.

Thanks

7. Tahmid

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi simmi,
    You could try doing that with an 8-bit micro like PIC18 or PIC16 and then transfer the figures to EEPROM or flash memory. The most important part are the sensors.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I think he meant a DSPIC33fxxxxxxx
    like http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en537162

In which case I would recommend getting an explorer 16 development board from MC. This way you could develop for PIC24F, PIC24H, DSPIC30, DSPIC33, and PIC32 chips. When designing the project I'm working on I planed on using a PIC32, then a bit into it I realized it was just too over kill. I could get a pic24f for $2 a chip that would still be overkill, so I just swapped out the plug in chips and I was back to work with the new cheap chip. This will also give you something real you can program and play with and see how it all works.