Waveguide Switching with RS232 Control Interface

nrattihalli

Joined Feb 6, 2009
I am planning to design a Ku-band Waveguide Switching Unit that will have RS 232 Interface.

Already, similar switching unit is available with PLC Control. But costwise it is costlier than using 8051 design.

I would like to modify the existing the switching unit so as to have RS232 interface and then use C or Visual Basic language for writing Monitoring and Control Software.

Does any body have the RS232 interface design using 8051. Also please suggest some good sites for microcontroller programming using C/Visual Basic.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I am planning to design a Ku-band Waveguide Switching Unit that will have RS 232 Interface.

Already, similar switching unit is available with PLC Control. But costwise it is costlier than using 8051 design.

I would like to modify the existing the switching unit so as to have RS232 interface and then use C or Visual Basic language for writing Monitoring and Control Software.

Does any body have the RS232 interface design using 8051. Also please suggest some good sites for microcontroller programming using C/Visual Basic.
I wonder if we might be using a sledge hammer to drive a thumb tack, here. Is the switching particularly fast, or in a very complex sequence? If not, a simple On/Off command is a pretty trivial problem. Do you really need a dedicated processor for this?

eric