Wau

Discussion in 'Math' started by Sparky49, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi everyone,

continuing in a similar fashion to my previous maths post :))) could somebody explain in layman's terms what 'wau' is.

I can across it today and have seen some of the cool stuff it can do, I thought 'wow'.:p

But what is wau? And why does it makes us go 'wow'?

Sparky

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  3. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    That was the video I saw.

Wau, a greek letter which looks like an F.

Whilst that video is great to show what wau can do, it doesn't explain what wau is.

Wikipedia's definition makes my head implode.:eek:

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    It is indeed an ancient Greek letter, not used anymore. It is called digamma, as bertus said. I don't know why the girl in the video calls it wau.

Sparky49 likes this.
  6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    wau is one !

The video is an educational practical joke.

Sparky49 likes this.
  7. 1chance

Nov 26, 2011
    That's my gut feeling as well, even though I'm the one that always falls for the NPR April Fools jokes.:confused:

8. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    It is a well done video, and it is creative and educational. The importance of unity is often overlooked. It is a very special number.

The give away for me was when they mentioned wau is equal to exp(2 pi i). Before that point, I wasn't really thinking too deeply because of the speed of the presentation. Then they related it to physics (E=mc^2) which was a huge red flag. Then, I went back (slowly) to every example given and wau=1 works for all cases.

Yes, those will be happening soon, and we get some here at AAC too, so watch out. :)

9. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    For those who find mathematical purity too dry but like the link between maths and physics get hold of a copy of

The Mathematical Mechanic

by Mark Levi

It is fascinating to see his derivation of maths from the basic physics of things

eg

He proves pythagoras by whirling a triangular fish tank around vertex and derives the Gauss-Bonnet theorem from a bicycle wheel.

Sparky49 likes this.