watthour metered lamp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by just1, Aug 28, 2010.

1. just1

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello, this is my first post. I joined here hoping to get some help with my little project, a search for electric meter lamp on google will turn up plenty of lamps which have been wired to these meters to make them run, but I can't seem to find any info on how to go about wiring this my self, I'm not an electrician. I got the meter from an electric company employee who was changing out the old meters with the new digital ones, after some talk he told me he had been looking to collect a few him self and that if he could manage to get his hands on some that he would drop one by for me, well about a month later I got a knock at the door, and there he was with a meter in hand! so, back to the project, the meter is a SANGAMO Rr 27 7/9 CL200 240V 3W TYPE J5S 30TA 7.2 there look to be 4 main terminals on the rear and a connection for ground, a suitable base will need to be made to mount the meter to. any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    By electric meter lamp, do you mean:
    [​IMG]

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    If so, theoretically, you should be able to wire L1 to either one of the 2 phases terminals and then ground to ground on the LINE side.

Connect the lamp to the LOAD side.

Why this should work:
    Because even if you have 3 phase service to a building, you may only be using 1 phase.

The meter will still measure what each phase is pulling, even if some phases are not pulling anything.

You should have L1 L2 N and GND

Are they labeled?

Can you post a picture of the connection terminal plate?

4. just1

Aug 28, 2010
    yes that is what I want to do, here is a couple pics of the meter's rear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nothing is labeled but I think the little plate which has the two screws in it is gnd

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    The guy probably drilled holes in the terminals and mounted wires to them with nuts & bolts, then made a fancy looking base for it.

We don't recommend playing around with line voltages around here but if you do be sure to use a three wire cord to power it, hooking the ground wire to the GND of the meter if it has one or to anything metallic on the meter case if it doesn't. Also to any metal parts of the lamp you choose.

Keep the neutral wire separate from the ground wire.

6. just1

Aug 28, 2010
    I don't want to play with line voltages, I wan't to do this correctly.

Do I wire it with the positive and negative wires bolth running through the meter or do I wire it with only the positive/negative wire running through and ground connected to the casing and or other metal lamp parts, I think I can figure out which terminals are which from the information on wiring the sockets that these are installed in to.

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    On most meters like that I've seen the outer two lugs at the top are the line inputs and the outer two tabs at the bottom are the line outs that go to the home's breaker box.

Most, but not all, have a neutral connection somewhere near the center.

You would only use ONE upper tab and ONE lower outer tab to route the hot wire through, the neutral wire would just be connected to the neutral lug if there is one.

FInding the ground terminal (only a few have them) would best be done with an ohmmeter to see if any lug is -0- (and I mean ZERO) ohms to any exposed metal parts on the outer part of the meter.

8. just1

Aug 28, 2010
    so I found this page http://www.mississippipower.com/commercial/pdf/SinglePhase3Wire.pdf and used the diagram to decipher which terminals were load and which were line, I then wired it to a 57 watt bulb with bolth wires running through the meter and connected the power to the line side as retched said and the meter began to turn after a few seconds, I did not connect ground yet as I am no longer sure those screws are ground, I will try as marshallf3 has said and connect only one wire and if the meter runs than I think I will be ready to build the rest of the lamp

9. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Definitely going to look cool.

10. just1

Aug 28, 2010
    I have tried the one wire method as you suggested and it seems not to work, I wired up a 3 foot extension cord to the meter temporarily (spliced the meter in to the middle) so I could attach it to some things around the house, out of curiosity. I used the 2 wire method as I used before and it has worked perfectly. I attached the device to my bedside lamp to experiment, it has a dimmer, when the lamp was dimmed the wheel slowed and came to dead stop when turned off, connected to my room air conditioner you can clearly see it take off when the compressor kicks in.

when I build the lamp I will incorporate an outlet in to it so I can connect other devices, this will make it useful for tracking down the household energy hogs.

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions?