Wattage in voltage devider

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
Did you buy a potentiometer?We can put it in place of Series resistors to get adjustable voltage.
I bought 2x1k trimmers (small) (http://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=269_456_552_582_588&products_id=5148) and 5x 4k7 lin Pot (http://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=269_456_552_582_585&products_id=3064)
We can put it in place of Series resistors to get adjustable voltage.
That'll be cool!
THEN previously I bought 47k trimmer, 4k7 trimmer and 100k trimmer

I always think of my wall, Friday past I bought another 32 drawers, and when one project needs something, (played a bit with RaspberryPi, but that's too easy!) I always buy for my wall, on hand when and if the new projects ALSO needs it. (this time I kept in mind all the previous projects on this forum, I might need to build one)

AND on one of the RPi breadboards I have a 10K trimmer (I THINK)

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Ok,we can use 47K trimmer.
Im going to post board without potentiometer first and then ill just edit the post with trimmer one.
lm2576.png

One of the terminals of the trimmer will have to be shorted to form a rheostat .
lm2576_pot.png

Last edited:

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
can this be used as a mask? to know EXACTLY where to place a component, cause my veroboard doesn't have A,B,C,D,E guides

I think I'll build the variable one, will the one end stay 1K, cause I have a couple 0.5W values in my wall and we have to take into account that the trimmer can only handle 0.1W

the 4k7 lin pot can handle 0.125W

Friday I may be able to acquire
20-Turn Cermet Trimmer 50k (CPP503)
Power rating 0.75W

Loudspeaker controls have more Watts, but they're too expensive!

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Try with small trimmer,there is only small current flowing through the trimmer and resistor.I only said to take 1W resistor because in case regulator gets hot they will take more heat without increasing the resistance.You can measure the current using the multimeter.Don't use audio potentiometers they are not linear.With 4.7K pot you wont be able to go above ~7V.

Last edited:

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
Oh and how is that diagonal wire going to be implemented, unless I'm missing something big, I have no clue. Suppose I should just have to print out and see if it makes an accurate mask...

NEW POST
Do I just bend the wire around the trimmer?

NEW POST
oh and the diagonal wire doesn't connect to anything!?

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
oh, I SEE, ok cool

NEW POST
can your CAD generate masks? pdf preferably? ELSE I'll gladly just copy your design onto VeeCAD, and post a mask to the forum.

R1 stays 1K? its the only 2W resistor value I have, but have many 0.5W and MANY (69) 0.25W

Last edited:

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
You missed one! 1 down 19 across, break that would have shorted Vout+ with Vin+, now crucify me if you must, but I, well, just spaced out some of the jumpers, I don't want jumpers under my components even if it will fit, AND I can't do diagonal jumpers.

and R1 really is that big

In the colours png. Is my diode path correctly drawn?

Attachments

Last edited:

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
well then that's my error in previous design, no wait!

square Positive. I had my ring at the square, then ring is connected to Vo, and other side ground

then the error is in the schematic and not in the actual implementation

Auto route on VeeCAD want's square (positive) at Vo and negative at GND, then it makes no changes to the layout, if I switch it around it freaks out

but looking at the schematic, it seems that it should be ring at the square and anode at GND

I think, with VeeCAD, the square is the stripe not the positive, else why bomb out with "Auto Route" if I change the polarity around, as is: "Auto Route" makes no changes to the board. But "Auto Route" doesn't always work.

Why do we need the resistors? OK for variable output, yeah, but this circuit is the same as your's except the 330uF is 1000uF and no resistors? It claims 5V power delivery? 3A

http://www.eleccircuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/lm2576_5v_3a_switching_supply.jpg

PS, I'd rather build a variable system

OK, we are using LM2576-ADJ, so we need the resistors, thats fine, cool

Last edited: