Water pump reset circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ibis, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ibis

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Hello,
    I'm working on a gray water storage system which will have a pump to draw water from a 55gal water tank out to several hose bibs around the house. What I would like to have is a circuit that would kill the pump when the tank level goes below a certain level via a float level switch, but when the level of the tank comes back up the pump won't come back on no matter what position the pump power switch is in unless a reset button is pushed. What I don't want is the tank pump cycling on and off as the tank fills then drains during unattended use.The pump needs to have 120 vac switched for its power, and the float level switch would be switching 12vdc. I've tried to come up with some sort relay setup, but when it comes to the reset switch I'm stumped on how to implement this part. I hope explained myself its some what of a convoluted system.

Dave.

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    "float level switch would be switching 12vdc" does not make sense to me. Everything was making sense up until I read that.

3. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
  4. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello Ibis

You Say:
    I'm working on a gray water storage system which will have a pump to draw water from a 55gal water tank out to several hose bibs around the house.
    Therefore, the pump feeds water through hoses.

What I would like to have is a circuit that would kill the pump when the tank level goes below a certain level via a float level switch,
    If no water to pump, the pump stops.

but when the level of the tank comes back up the pump won't come back on no matter what position the pump power switch is in unless a reset button is pushed.
    And, although the water in the tank rises, do not start the pump until a button is pressed.

The pump needs to have 120 VAC switched for its power, and the float level switch would be switching 12vdc.
    A relay for 12VDC is required. Their contacts must support the electric current for the motor.
    The circuit could be as you look at the attached image.
    If you energize the circuit, the pump will not turn on until you press the "Push To Pump On" button.
    And if there is enough water in the tank to be pumped, the pump turn on.

ErnieM likes this.
  5. Ibis

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2014
  6. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Think of it as a manual switch with a relay inside of it. So you the user use it to turn something ON and OFF, but if you have some external input (like a sensor in your case), this external sensor can turn the switch OFF and the device will stay OFF until you the user turn it back ON.

What you can do is turn the pump ON. Put this switch between mains and pump. You turn the switch ON, pump comes ON, water is pumped out, water level drops to X, the sensor sends signal to switch, switch turns OFF, pump is disconnected from the mains and also turns OFF. If the pump is not too complex, you can maybe look into replacing pump ON/OFF switch with this switch.

Also, check and make sure that the switch is rated for, I guess, American AC (mains), and keep in mind that I picked the first switch that I found, there is a bunch more, I think I sorted them by price so this one was cheapest at I think 14 dollars. Also I was looking at rocker switches, there probably other types like push button, etc.

Here they are: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40011%2Cfff8005c%2C142d1c&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=1&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
    You will probably want 125 V AC, 16 A AC.

Check the sensor output. How many volts it is? How far is it from the switch?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    A similar option would be a ground-fault-interrupter (earth leakage circuit breaker) deliberately tripped by the float switch.

8. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Yeah, the breaker word crossed my mind, but it was late when I went looking for the part and I was not sure what to look for in the breaker selection fields at the Digi-Key.

9. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
  10. pinballdoctor

May 23, 2013
    i use a very similar setup in my in house water system. > 5000gal sistern
    instead of using a pump down float switch i used a pump up float switch.
    it powers directly the 220 volt 1 hp pump. no power is used when the water level is at normal range. just my thought...:cool:

11. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    not an answer but another option
    [​IMG]
    submersible water pump. they have a float switch that cuts off when the tank level drops, reconnects mains when water rises.

12. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Got one of those for the storm water sewer. That free floating float takes a bit of room, we returned that unit and got one that has float that moves up and down on a metal rod, it is a bit more compact unit.