Water filters and purifiers?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
So my understandings of a water filter for humans is basically different then a water filter for fish operates.

The human ones work on principles of gravity and filter meshes the heavy weight particles get stuck in the mesh or do to gravity set at the bottom of the filter.

So I can see human filters preventing toxic/particles in the water that are heavier in weight then water but what about bacterial / viruses I would imagine these can get thru any water purifier unless there is some sanitation process of the water like distillation or other means...

So correct me if I am wrong filters will clear up hard water or other particles in the water but won't prevent clean water if your water supply / water being supplied to you is contaminated with harmful bacteria ? In this case only sanitation procedures heat , distillation ,..etc will make it clean or non-harmful to drink.

Question 2
I have hard water don't want to fix this problem by adding salts or other **** to my water. I am wondering what is the cheapest and best water filter/purifier I can install on my kitchen sink something that screws in.
Currently I am using bottled water and I want to switch over. I can drink it hard but for 20 or 30 bucks would also like the other option to drink it softer .

:cool::cool::cool:

PS. I guess fish filters could work but there objective is different then humans ones and they usually want to promote bacteria growth which is not what human ones want

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You might want to visit http://info.nsf.org/Certified/dwtu/

I can tell you this though ... in western Oklahoma, my unit had 12 grain hard water, over 10 grain is very hard. I put a 5 micron rope filter and a 5 micron charcoal filter in line with the well. It reduced the water to 6 grain hard water, or moderately hard. We did use salt softeners for our humidifiers in the HVAC systems. We maintained a 40 percent moisture. It's pretty weird walking in from the outside and smelling the moisture in the air. Especially on those 100 degree days.

I use a pur water filter where I live. It has a .01 micron three stage filter.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just get an undersink RO unit with pressure tank.. very simple to install and nearly perfect water as far as reducing TDS (total dissolved solids)

I have a RO/DI system for my reef tank and tap right after the RO membrane to feed a pressure tank/faucet. (some people claim drinking the water after the DI cartridge is a bad thing.. I don't.. but I also like a bit of "taste" in my water so I run off the RO cartridge.. the DI is 0 TDS and just "too clean" IMO)
http://www.airwaterice.com/c=i9MrXy9eCv3Wk8I9lUVSRZo0m/category/12/

Just make sure you have 50PSI of supply pressure. If you don't you can either add a booster pump or simply increase the water pressure in your whole house by adjusting the water pressure regulator located in your crawlspace or somewhere near where the water line enters the house..
My wife LOVES the extra water pressure in the shower.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well , I have now a Brita water filter that screws on top of the sinkmodel SAFF-100 with Filter FR-200 There is a small manual with a performance data sheet but it say's nothing about if it prevents bacteria , microbials , and virus. Just gives you the ppb or percentage of metals and other various chemicals.As for the pressure it actually comes out around like a 100psi when the filtered water setting is on which makes it splash out of the sink a little when hitting the metal sink at that pressure. Haven't found a simple solution to fix it without installing a plastic tube or a pressure dropping device some how. Which would be a bit over kill for a screw on filter.So my main question's are prevention of bacteria , ....etc how good is it probably not as good as the nfs document/pdf above but not sure if the document applies to almost all human water filters including the Brita (and all its models/makes) or not?As well as the question of curing the high pressure splash from the sink
Can this model of Brita filters get 0.01 < for the viruses

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
never mind restatementfor question 1) how much salt is add to the water in brita filter when purification using ion's ? (**** this)
Or how much sodium increase would the water have to leaving it unfiltered hard water
Maybe I am wrong I am not sure of the filtration process they are using looks like mesh based not salt based but not sure ? It does say in the brita manual it is not for purification so unsure what that means since ... does that just mean it cleans metals and chemicals .. and the purification process cleans those as well as virus , microbial , bacteria ,...etc If there is anybody on this forum that knows more about human water systems please post Thanks

I would imagine the people in third world countries that boil for 3 minutes the water then sift out the bad metal particles could do it in a Carbon based sifter to turn it into a purification system instead of just a human filtration process plus I would assume it would get rid of bad tasted. What I have read is it is close to the automated system US has in places as well other countries
So I guess my questions are almost answered on this one
:)
Still like to know your information from the experts as well as an random person.

Want me to be more caring learn to obey more
Want me to forget the bad stuff in the passed then don't remind me of the passed and maybe that will happen
You want to change me or break my rules then maybe I should break all yours
If your not helping me then leave me be and if you effected me in a bad way then fix it back to normal.
Want me to work well then fix my issues for good because if I remember correctly I wasn't as bad 2 years ago when you try some s h I t you shouldn't have.
checkmate
And here is a tip with so many jobless people why couldn't we say F u c k the system and just build the water purification for the rest of the world so everybody can have clean water and not have to work at it (that would gives the people that are jobless and can semi-work something to do and probably help them anyway)

Another tip would be why are we fighting wars over what we have enough resources for everybody provided we all split equally ... I bet everybody could live an average Americans live when it comes to living quality (not personal attraction that is a different story but I think I would rather live poor with an attractive caring person over rich with an ugly caring person) Obviously poor depends on how poor and attractive depends on how attractive but in most cases I would pick the attractive which is normally the bitch and not obeying/caring anyway. (Basically because they can be more selective who they pick...etc but also people say looks don't last but maybe looks last for your age though I would imagine the grandmothers/grandfathers would have to explain if attractive women stay attractive as they age... I know my mom is older and she is very attractive for her age most people find her attractive so I would assume there must be a general ageing beauty...etc

Also different strokes for different folks some people don't care about looks. Me I care a lot but I don't look down on the ugly people any differently just different in the sexually attractive area which is a basic need ...
I have a few friends in all categories or at least I know people and get along with mostly any looking person. Just very few I would enjoy or be attractive to sexually... which is a big deal since it is a basic need and if done right can extend your life I know mine could... probably improve me memory to.

Another tip people should all have to get std tested before changing sex partners ( am sure the cdc would agree) --->( do it for the kids that have health problems you would at least get std tested and wait the 6 months before having s e x in the mean time you could be getting to know each other) (hell we have people that have to get drug tested for work seems only logical to have people tested for other people )

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Also distilling or evaporating the water / catching the vapors would give you pure H2O that has no problems in it.Of course the only issue is the energy used to process the water this way.That is why we have all the other methods that are less efficient in end result.So the name of the game in water sanitation processes is to find a more efficient energy way to get the equivalent of the evaporating process.This also applies to clearing salt from water as well. And if one was to find a more efficient way at large then don't tell me we are running out of water ...lolMost boats are already equipped with salt to fresh water survival kits just have to make them bigger and mass produce them ... loldon't try the brook bitch she is not good enough any more in the fact that she is not reliable and she won't last long ... and I won't give her the satisfaction of getting laid by me checkmate.
And I am not always selfish just something's have to go exactly my way
NOW WHAT
In fact it is not helping me to recover for work until the f u c k e r s stop wearing there shirts and trying to impress me. Me personally think they have to proof something to me... hopefully it is more then wearing t-shirts and looking like f u c k ing idiots
Hell maybe they can some how fix my communication and grammar some way at least they would be worth something to me instead of just ******* idiots.But this could all be a miss communication
Maybe I would have felt differently if it wasn't a psychological setup to test me in certain situations or some **** but there is no reversing that now correct?
And if It was going to work out if I go back to the gym and I get to choose or people are falling all over me whatever then it was just artificially setup from some psychological test therefore **** that.
Popular naturally is one thing popular artificially or threw pity is anotherI am sure there was a good intention somewhere but I can't see it.Was it to change me to be less picky or something.
And here is a tip why should I be so picky about s e x stuff ... well maybe if I never heard of the diseases it would be different but now that I have and they exist different requirements need to be met. And for future reference I can't bare going back to a person that is less attractive then a previous person/bitch I was with so next relationship would have to be as attractive or more in my eyes... I would have to say the IFBB girl would be one but then again she breaks my gym requirement no dating requirement. Like work you don't eat where you s h I t I guess the saying goes. Maybe I will have to wait for the next IFBB pro in a gym that I don't go to before I can ask them out.
******* pricks trying to set me up with situation where I have to break some rule or difficult situation what its doing is giving me ED,depression, memory issues lol
Another words not as good as just leaving me alone in the gym but now that wouldn't be enough you would first have to jump off a bridge to that is for the people that are making it worses

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
My wife LOVES the extra water pressure in the shower.
I bet she does but then again maybe you need more practices to make it nearly perfect for her. No probably I am sure you and her have been with each other a while and all that need to be done is practices and read more theory and repeat :)
But then again maybe I am wrong ...I haven't found anybody with all the requirements that wasn't artificial that would be willing to go thru s e x experimentations .... which probably at the end of it if there was an end would graduate with s e x therapy degrees in the process. That or find that it really isn't as good as I thought it would be.... Either way I think most of my problems after this point would be cured or if not then nothing would except may drug experimentation which is last resort shot in the dark. Also I don't see why adult prostitution should be illegal IF there is some way in the future to make it as clean as getting everybody std tested with a quick efficient way ( some test that test for all known stds fast an efficient )As well as having it only legal to adults or people of the age. Obviously it should be changed to being illegal if it is found to promote new strains of diseases at a much quicker rate or other issues that out weighed the benefit in society. Though if all things equal it really didn't effect the health of people all that much over the basic need/fancy being fulfilled then what would be the issue.Hell we except same sex marriage (I have no problem with gay/lesbian people) some of these people do rock/are cool .... so then why not except prostitution if the above conditions are satisfied for a legitimate business... it would be putting women that are willing to do these professions with more profit and men that need the s e x but don't want a relationship or to live out a fantasy to be able to always obtain it whenever they need it without the concern for getting a disease or having children or even what the other person thinks. Its a win win for everybody and it would change the playing fields for dating as well since women won't always think that the man is after sex since they could easily just not go into a relationship but do the prostitution thing ... and the other way the man wouldn't be falling over stupid women **** just so he could get some. The relationships would be more based on wanting to know the person or caring about the person as opposed to just getting screwed.And also this may clear up a lot of sexual predators or sexual criminals from ever actually becoming criminals.Win Win for everything in most cases. Provided the cleanliness is guaranteed as well as no birth guaranteed. Might even clear up Alzheimer's or some cases of loneliness in some people or definitely sex deprivation ...etcThough I think true loneliness can only be cured by a caring live long partner or friends or familly. Because I don't feel lonely when I am with friends and family though the other issue based on s e x u a l loneliness (if you want to call it that) can never be cleared up without s e x p a r t n e r and for me it isn't going to be a family member or friend that I hang out with I just don't believe in that stuff and I am sure they do to_Of course there is the cheating factor which some times I think it should be debatable death penalty ... but maybe someday I will change my believes on this but I can't see it based on the cleanliness factor , and the down right harm for somebodies emotional attachment. But maybe the cheating factor or emotional attachment wouldn't be so much of an issue with the prostitution services... at least for the sexual side of things. Though the other side of the emotional relationship which would be more equivalently felt as a loss of a friend or family member would to some extent would take a long time to clear up if ever. It is the caring for the person to be at the same level or the lack of each person caring and being compatible not trying or wanting somebody else that makes or breaks your emotions/happiness. Or a person not desiring anything more then the person there with under any circumstances visa-versa that works ... or a person that can compromise with the other in every problem that arises.... Though there is no right or wrong answer in a relationship not working out emotion loss but the prostitution services would clear up the loss coming from s e x p a r t n e r or s e x needs in most cases. As for the more important caring / relationship side there could be no cure because one could never find some person to replace exactly another person ever and in a lot of case you wouldn't want it to be because at that level humans would be more like emotional robots. So love , happiness , ...etc are different things that stand differently for different people based on there believes/changes in believes/compromising levels,"experiences"...etc .So there maybe no cure for a relationship loss when it is based on true caring. (based on the fact people are not robots)As opposed to a relationship based on just fulfilling desires or other issues which mostly can be cleared up by just replacing the person with another person that can fulfill those desires as good if not better all things equal.So a relationship based on desires is more robotic ( but can be what some people need some times). Over a pure caring relationship which is the real deal true happiness since some people will never find true happiness. ( Though caring friends/family with a desired based relationships might be all that is need for some people) And even if there was a complete solution to everything in relationships/people you would have to ask the question what is the point,no unknown , no surprises , nothing that would need thought ,...etc it would seem like a life not worth living. Now change is good in some cases but why would one want to change in the cases of getting involved with another relationship if all the passed ones effected there health in worse ways... logically it would be safer to just stay the same and never try another relationship until you know the loss won't effect you as poorly anymore. And the benefit out weighed the loss.Me personally I think what I need is a relationship based on desire / attractiveness/fantasy which is not link to my passed in anyway sort of like a s e x experiment person that is clean / has no kids and is willing to be with only me until the duration is over or if it works out for ever... but most relationship based on sex are probably not going to work out in the other areas of things liking to do or caring side... so maybe like a few years contract until I find I am all set with that aspect of things and require maybe more of a real relationship. But thing when I reach this point I would question if the sex side of things would be satisfied by the relationship probably wouldn't be an issue though I maybe at that point I wouldn't be catch up on looks as much as other things...don't know. But willing to try the sex partner under certain conditions for a 2 year duration and if that doesn't turn out what I need then try the really thing maybe sex is the only thing clouding my communication and holding me back from communication/true caring about somebody in a relationship.
And my nervousness in asking questions to people in those areas would hinder me in actually going thru with this in almost all cases, and a doubt there would be anybody that would want to go thru with it that is sexually attractive enough to me with all the other requirements clean, no kids rule,...
As for me job , relationship , sexual desires ,...etc are all stuck in limbo until something changes and it is not me.1) I feel like living by my friends/family ( though eventually if I find a sole mate I would probably chose to live somewhere warm and travel more maybe though I could find that I still want to be around family )2) For work I can't concentrate until my personal issues are resolved or work anywhere near my true potential.3) And the only way my personal issues are resolved is if I find somebody that is willing to play the game of life with me sort of speak or the game of sex sort of speak. Which I don't think will happen..So I think pretty much I will be stuck in limbo forever
As such if it did occur that there was a person it would have to be a person not from passed dates or relationships because those would just be effecting the issue of clearing up my issues even more.
As for this thread I answered all my questions for the water purification so I am all set you can close this thread.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
cliff notes?

In general reverse osmosis membranes are very effective in filtering out bacteria and viruses..

And Brita faucet adapters are basically junk.. and are very expensive to "properly maintain"..

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
@Mathematics

Too much James Joyce. Try some capital letters, more periods and commas, fewer ellipses, and more paragraphs. Take a breath. Try to relax.