Water drop detect sensor?

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi All,

I had tried couple sensors but none of them are detect water drop. The water drop like you drop the water down from the cup and need the sensor detect it to give output high. Please let me know, if you have any idea how to detect water drop in front of the sensor. The sensor need to detect within 10 inches.

Thanks,

Kevin

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
why an infrared led why not any near infrared such as an optical mouse?.. I don't get that part, is it something to do with displacement with the shorter wavelength? I should look up how optical mice work.... i guess.

Can a microphone be used with some kind of pass filter to detect a noise of a certain type?.....

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
The water would absorb the sound waves including doppler?

How about ultrasonic? send out and listen and if it stops sounding water is blocking/absorbing the energy, invert the signal to get a high out....

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have used an IRLED and phototransistor successfully detecting water drops falling at over 130 KPH.

You have not posted a schematic of your attempt.

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi Kemoffet,

I don't have the circuit yet. I need to ask you guys, if know any circuit to make it detect water drop with 10 inches from the sensor and detect it

Thanks,

Kevin

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi KMoffett,

Yes the water drop alway vertical line. It 's same thing you just drop down the water from your cup.

Thanks,
Kevin

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Define " the cup ".
How high is the cup above the sensor?
How is the drop rate controlled?
If drop is straight down with no deviations,a laser pointer's beam should be narrow enough to be deflected or blocked by a drop.

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi Bernard,

The cup drop water down to bottom about 20 inches. The sensor is placing in middle of 10 inches. When the water drop cross the sensor, it need to detect the water drop and give output high.

Thanks,
Kevin

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Maybe I'm confused when you referred to a distance of 10", I assumed you meant that the sensor was up to 10" from the drop stream. Or, is the 10" from the cup just another spec'. How close to the stream could a beam-break sensor be?

Ken

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Perhaps the OP just needs a circuit. The pix are of the raindrop detector and the significant circuitry that could detect drops falling from 90' up. The stuff got done for the Agronomy Department back in 1984, so more modern op amps and phototransistors could be substituted.

The IRLED's had about 40 ma through them.

Attachments

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi KMoffett,

Sorry my question was not clear. I mean the sensor will detect in area of 10 inches. It mean you move the cup far away within 10 inches from Sensor and drop the water down from 20 inches top to the floor. The Sensor can mount from floor up to 5 inches.

Thanks,
kevin