Washing Machine Help EWF85761

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ELECTROFLUX, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ELECTROFLUX

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Hi,
    my Electrolux washing machine all of a sudden stopped working, further investigation with a multimeter, lead me to the "power supply unit" (part 1327313100 is a NOT CONFIGURED ELECTRONIC ASSE -PCB-), i haven't check all of it's components yet, but i could clearly spot a 970 Ohms resistor completely burned out, i got in touch with the official customer's service to find out how many ohms it was, as it was completely black and the only readable code on the board was R57, they refused to tell me as it was a "company secret" (ah ahh!), however Google it's a really good friend sometime and i find out anyways.
    I did ask how much was for a new PCB and how could i purchase it, they told me the price and also advised me to contact them directly by phone, however, NOBODY is answering the 2 phone numbers provided or sms (great!).
    Before i find out the correct resistor, i've taken the PCB to almost every single shops around here that do servicing, but none of them was able to do anything, apart from one that installed a new but wrong resistor and the PCB went up in smoke again.
    When i swapped the wrong resistor with the right one, everytime i would plug in the washing machine to the electric socket, it will start smoking again (with the switch turned off!).
    What should i do?
    Any help/suggestion will be much appreciated, thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Customer

You should not change the PCB suddenly. The load may short circuit and destroy the new PCB again. The load are inlet valve , drain pump, door switch and others. I recommend you use our service team take care you. If our team make the new PCB broken during repairing, we take the responsibility. The service charge is 642 bahts with 10 KM distance. If the distance more than 10 KM, the transportation cost is 10 bahts per KM.

I would like to contact you by phone because there are many details which we can discuss together.

2. TheButtonThief

Feb 26, 2011
    Sounds like an earth fault.

3. ELECTROFLUX

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2015

I have no idea, one of these days i am going to take out all components and check them one by one, i guess it's something that it's going to takes me quite sometime, i will start with the triac which it's not looking so healthy.
    Every other things i connect to that socket works fine.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If it has an electronic board that controls the motor, the W.M. is probably fitted with a Fischer-Paykel style outrunner motor, the 3phase driver board for the motor is the common failure point.
    Max.

PackratKing likes this.
  5. ELECTROFLUX

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2015
  6. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    First of all, is there a schematic on the machine somewhere? This may give you a small indication of what you need to check. The resistor is heating up excessively due to excessive current flow but more than likely is caused by something outside of the board itself. Your email from the company gave you some clues as to what may be the problem. Valves, motors, door switches etc. I have a similar problem with an LG but I cannot do anything with it because it is encased in potting compound and I cannot get to the components on the board. If you can get yours out, can you trace the circuit and see where the resistor goes and perhaps find your way back to the faulty component?

7. JMW

Nov 21, 2011
    Either the power supply is at fault or what ever this circuit powers is bad. Check the capacitors near the resistor for shorts, a visual inspection may be of value. Without a schematic you are going to have a tough time. There are several "Ask" sites that have service techs that can help. They are not free.
    This is the drawback of "uprocessor controlled everything. Be certain you have good surge protectors on all appliances, and unplug during extreme weather. (I'm on my 3rd fridge, gone through two A/C compressors, dishwasher, and two computers, a TV, and stereo). All due to surges, brownouts, low voltage etc.over the past 6 yrs. The computer and TV are now on battery power with an inverter

8. ELECTROFLUX

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2015
    None that i could find, i check on the internet, ask the company directly, even just for the value of the burned resistor, but they refused on the basis which is a "company secret", luckily with a few more days of searches i have been able to find at least the resistor, if any of you has the schematic for this particular model it will be greatly appreciated...
    If nobody else has anymore suggestions to give, i will probably start to take out from the PSB it's components and check them out with a multimeter, after this, i will try to see if there is something else shorted before to reconnect to the main for a check...if there is something better that i should do, i am all hears, i mean eyes...

9. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    You need to check things outside the board as I suggested earlier such as pump, valves etc. before you replace the board. Good luck to you. You can go online and get help but their batting average is about .500 so not sure you want to go that route. Better to stay on here and test components and report back. Somebody will help.

10. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    What I do most with thing like this is google the PCB or the model number and look under images cause you might lucky with a clean pic of board to better help you out..

11. ELECTROFLUX

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Yes that's how i find out what it was, but i am still in trouble after exchanging the "mysterious" resistor, i need to get to the main source of this failure