Washing machine element

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dritech, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Dritech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi all,

I am going to use a washing machine element to heat water in a glass container. Now my question is; how to connect the element? does it connect directly to the mains?

Thanks in advance.

2. SharpyWarpy

Aug 5, 2007
    I'm lost here. What is this washing machine element to which you refer? I don't see how anything related to a washing machine can be used to heat water. I sense an element of danger in your project. Please elaborate.

3. SharpyWarpy

Aug 5, 2007
    You wouldn't be talking about an electric dryer element, would you?

4. Felo

Feb 20, 2012
    I have seen in older (older meaning 15 + yo) washing machines a big resistive water heater, they are made to use submerged and they connect directly to mains. so I see no problem there, just keep your hands and water away from the connection points.

Good luck, don't get burned, or electrocuted dangerous things to play with.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Perhaps a dishwasher element? In the US they go directly to 120 VAC. No idea where Dritech is.

6. P-MONKE

Mar 14, 2012
    I thought pretty much all washing machines have water heaters in - I know mine does. How else could you achieve a 90 degree Celsius wash cycle?

7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    ... and that's how my big wool sweater suddenly fit Barbie...

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Personally, I've never seen a heater in a clothes washer. I only see them in dish washers in USA.

Then again, I have no idea where P-MONKE is that he has 90 C clothes washers.

Would you guys PLEASE go to "user CP" and write what country you're in?

P-MONKE and shortbus like this.
  9. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    And technically the heater in the dishwasher only dries the dishes, it doesn't heat the water.

I was thinking the OP was referring to the dishwasher element but who knows? The OP hasn't come back to clarify anything.

10. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    It would help also if people put pics of what they are refering to. Heres some pics of a heater element in the bottom af a Hoover twintub washing machine for heating the water. Its a 240V element & the machine had an adjustable thermostat. Hoover was a British company & there products were sold here in Australia & there twintubs were popular many years ago.

11. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Here in Australia Dish washers, the Element heats the water at the start of the cycle if they are only conected to cold water or the hot water is not up to temp. At the drying cycle the element is used again for drying. There is 2 preset theromstats at diferent temps for each cycle. ( I would post a dish washer circ but have just sent all the manuals to the recyclers).

BSomer likes this.