washing machine burning smell

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
We have recently had a thread about a burning smell in a power supply

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=86899

My washing machine has developed a burning smell so I looked inside.

The culprit was the mains input filter assembly.

The burning can be seen at A.

The mains comes in via the white lead at C. This enters the filter unit D in a sealed manner so the connections are not accessible.

Wires B pass the line (brown) and neutral (blue) into the machine.
Note the melting on the line wire.

Because of some of the internal wiring and the white connector B are damaged I need a new part wiring harness (£17) as well as a new mains cable and filter assembly (£20).

The circuit diagram of the filter can be seen on the white label to the left of D

Attachments

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
its a common fault with most hotpoint models-it is due to poor crimped connections-usually the live side or neutral side affected-what you can do is solder and sleeve the connections on the new filter and away you go you wont have any problems then,ive not had to replace a wiring harness yet-no need to.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Thank you for that useful information I will consider it on the new parts.

I'm afraid the old are burnt beyond redemption.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thank you for that useful information I will consider it on the new parts.

I'm afraid the old are burnt beyond redemption.
There's a reason they keep soldered wires to a minimum in washing machines - vibration!

Any solder wicked up the strands turns it into solid wire, that will fatigue and break.

You're certain to need new tags, forget the ones with pre-fitted plastic sleeves (red, yellow & blue indicate ferrule size) unless you have the expensive professional ratchet-crimper.

You can pull the sleeve off and crimp with the correct ratchet tool for bare ferrules, but the ferrules on those aren't very strong!

I used to be a dab-hand at putting a small solder joint where the strands feed through the ferrule without it wicking up the wire - its not easy so practice on wire offcuts first.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
ok-a soldered joint properly terminated will be perfectly ok-it is a problem which is common with quite a few makes of washing machine,Hotpoint being one of them and with the filter being at fault simple case of solder the Neutral,Live and Earth connections and sleeve them where they enter the socket on the filter and tie wrap the cable at a suitable spot and away you go-the fault here is due to the connection which is crimped onto the tag on the filter going hi resistance because of poor contact-Hotpoint and a few other manufacturers know about this fault and they have sent servicing bulletins out to cure it....its not only at the filter but ive had it at the pump,motor-on the brush connection and a few where they where not terminated properly in the plug/socket which plugs into the spin board and motor even had one on the pressure switch....solder the connections and common sense use of a cable tie and job done ...