War Games,How Would You protect Your men If Your Hands Were Not tieded by Politics

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is much in the above posts to think about. Especially the dangers of political extremism, no matter the flavor.

One might wonder if a failed system of public education benefits extremists by producing a populace with no critical thinking skills, and no education in history to provide examples to consider. Or if television has some major effects on the local community by isolating families in their living rooms.

To continue with the topic of the thread, I would be very interested to find out why the largest and most expensive collection of intelligence agencies has yet to be able to locate a certain Osama bin Laden. Not that having his head stuck on a pole would bring peace to the world, but it would make some difference.

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Bill – There is nothing in your post I can disagree with. I support no political party. The constitution of the USSR was far more liberal than the constitution of the USA. We did not have a written constitution or a human rights act – we did not need them, we had, all that is needed, honourable men; not fine words from foul people. I’m nostalgic for those times.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
To continue with the topic of the thread, I would be very interested to find out why the largest and most expensive collection of intelligence agencies has yet to be able to locate a certain Osama bin Laden. Not that having his head stuck on a pole would bring peace to the world, but it would make some difference.
But isn't that what this thread is all about. Is the "war on terror" really a facade for a war on freedom? The longer that "war" goes on, the more freedoms we lose. Capturing Osama bin Laden would be counterproductive in that context.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill – There is nothing in your post I can disagree with. I support no political party. The constitution of the USSR was far more liberal than the constitution of the USA. We did not have a written constitution or a human rights act – we did not need them, we had, all that is needed, honourable men; not fine words from foul people. I’m nostalgic for those times.

This sounds good, but looking from the outside it sure didn't appear that way. 10 Million people dead, more than Nazi Germany, because the farmers didn't want their produce nationalized. People disappeared, or treated for non existent insanity, or thown into gulags for political reasons. I know nothing about the constitution of the USSR, but there is an old saying, people don't judge you by what you say, they judge you by what you do.

The United States during the 19th century in the southern states approaches some of the atrocities committed anywhere, but compared to Stalin Russia, or even Communist Russia, we were pikers.

Even the 20th century the US has some special moments, such as the syphilis medical experiments on blacks in the south, or the Japanese concentration camps during WWII (it is important to note we did not kill these people, but stole their lives none the less).

I don't think the Iraq war is going to be looked at very favorably in 50 years myself.

Those who don't know history are bound to repeat it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specia...t+political+prisoners&sourceid=Mozilla-search

It occurres to me that the real innovation of the US is we did spell out our Bill of Rights. Our government tries to get out from under them now and again, but our checks and balances have mostly kept them in place. A liberal constitution is simply not enough, words on paper are worthless unless they are acted on.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Is the "war on terror" really a facade for a war on freedom? The longer that "war" goes on, the more freedoms we lose. Capturing Osama bin Laden would be counterproductive in that context.
It's hard not to see it that way.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually I think I agree with beenthere on this one. If Hitler had been captured early in WWII that would have been on condition less to negotiate. As it was, it meant we had to go all the way, completely destroying Germany in the process. It was a core condition of the wars end.

If Osama were gone it would be a lot harder for Al-Qaeda to claim victory. It would also allow us to check off something on this war that might allow us to end it sooner.

I suspect the man is dead myself. It would be all too easy to fake his pronouncements.

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Beenthere – Have you read George Orwell’s 1984? The connection to what is happening today is incredible. I have much to say on the original question but I best say nothing; except I think getting rid of Saddam was an own goal and did from day one.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Have you read George Orwell’s 1984?
Of course I have. Have you read Huxley's "Brave New World"? Kind of a toss-up as to who might be the more correct.

There are even some unreconstructed Ayn Rand Objectivists running around loose, too.

As to connections, go rent the movie "Truman". Lots to think about there, too.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Since political correctness is not an issue.... Cruise missiles from here, glass it over and call it a day. Great thought in theory, but unworkable in todays society. Too bad.....I'm a combat vet and I sure would not have minded staying home for the last two wars.
Bob

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can't say playing games with the shape of the negotiating table was a great aspect of all those years messing with Vietnam.

Trouble with nukes is that they're just not that hard to knock one up (very basic design). Once someone has one, everybody else wants one, too. Where there's money, there's a way.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Bill as far as your post #20. I can't prove it but I think that some day we will find out that George Soros is behind/financing the Tea Party. He has been behind a lot of different entities that are trying to change not only U.S. liberties and politics, but the whole world's.

This last election and the law that allows unacknowledged campaign contributions is a criminal act to my way of thinking. The McCain/Feingold Act was bad enough(taking the right of private citizens to pay for campaign ads). But the Supreme Courts ruling allowing Corporations to finance campaigns will only add to the destruction of Democracy. If there is nothing to hide, why allow it to be hidden?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
This last election and the law that allows unacknowledged campaign contributions is a criminal act to my way of thinking. The McCain/Feingold Act was bad enough(taking the right of private citizens to pay for campaign ads). But the Supreme Courts ruling allowing Corporations to finance campaigns will only add to the destruction of Democracy. If there is nothing to hide, why allow it to be hidden?
You seem to be stuck in the same thought trap most of us are in. We tend to believe that 'common sense' still has a function in the leaderships halls of council in this country. Give up that quaint idea and realize that there is NO common sense in operation at ANY level of government. It makes the things they do more understandable, if not any more sense-able.

Concerned with 'keeping' power more than exercising power in a responsible way. (insert emotional rant here:)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I got my little flag sticker on the fridge. I guess all the little
votes count,Its great to be an American. I like all the rest
of you guys too where ever you live. There a lot of countries
having the same money problems,I would say watch out for
the gold. In good times gold was about hundred dollars an
troy ounce. Do you get the feeling something has to give.
Breaking News-beware of that.

Last edited: