Wanted: Xilinx XACT 5 for XACTstep 6 "Standard" (not "Base")

Discussion in 'Digital Circuit Design' started by Brouhaha, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Brouhaha

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I want to modify a design that uses the old Xilinx XC2064 FPGA, which was the first FPGA ever made, circa 1985. (Yes, I know that it's very obsolete and shouldn't be used in new designs. That's not what I'm doing.)

I have XACT 5 and XACTstep 6 "Base" edition, which support the XC2064 but unfortunately do not include the floorplanner and XDE (FPGA editor). I'm looking for XACT 5.x or XACTstep 6.x "Standard" edition, which does include those features.

I have the dongle that came with the Base edition; I don't know whether the same dongle will work with the Standard edition, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try.
  2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Have you tried contacting Xilinx?

It's been many years (15 to 20) since I've interacted with them, but they were more than willing to just give me a dongleless version of an old version of their software (ISE?) for a similar legacy project I was working on. They knew that there was no viable black market for it anymore and that it was a simple way to get a very happy customer who would be much more likely to recommend a Xilinx solution for future designs. Whether they will still view it that way is a different matter since they are a MUCH bigger company now than they were then.