Want to make a modified 360 controller

Madman

Joined May 3, 2012
I'm new to circuitry, and was wondering if you guys could help me figure this one out.

I want to create a rapid-fire 360 controller from scratch, with the ability to increase/decrease the rate of fire using existing components of the 360 controller. (So I don't want to cut any holes in it for extra buttons, etc)

From my understanding, there are many mod chips that already do this, but as a project I don't want to just buy a premade chip and stick it on there.

For reference, a couple of chips I know about are: Intensafire 3.0, Ragnarok, and Arbiter 3. I linked the names to a picture of each chip. (The Arbiter and Intensafire seem to be exact same thing.)

Like I said I am completely new to circuitry, but I have soldered a little before, and have taken a couple of engineering classes so I'm not completely devoid of information on the subject.

Mainly I'm wondering what types of components will I need, and also wondering how could I produce the RoF changing? I think I would need some type of memory chip or something, but this is about where my know-how falls out.

Last edited:

gizmoman0

Joined Jan 21, 2010
seems like a hell of a task for somebody new to electronics? You want to create the rapid fire chip or the entire electronics of the controller

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
your best bet is buying the kit. It often includes parts that you can't easily make.

Also did you know, according to microsoft TOS, you are not allowed to mod ANYTHING. IF they happened to find out (IE someone reporting the cheater with rapid fire) you will get your account and console banned forever.

nothing like ruining everyone elses fun by cheating.

Madman

Joined May 3, 2012
seems like a hell of a task for somebody new to electronics? You want to create the rapid fire chip or the entire electronics of the controller
Just the rapid fire chip, then I would wire it up to the appropriate leads (for right/left trigger, and a ground as well as power)

Would it really be that big of a project? I didn't expect much more than programming a chip and then wiring it up. I have no idea how to program a chip, though, haha. I am a beginner in that I've never really MADE electronics, but I do have some knowledge on the subject.

your best bet is buying the kit. It often includes parts that you can't easily make.

Also did you know, according to microsoft TOS, you are not allowed to mod ANYTHING. IF they happened to find out (IE someone reporting the cheater with rapid fire) you will get your account and console banned forever.

nothing like ruining everyone elses fun by cheating.
The kit is the easy way out though, I want to do this mainly for a project. I'm not really worried about getting caught with it either.